Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2003 Sable DOHC Engine block, 176,000 acceleration/other issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Default 2003 Sable DOHC Engine block, 176,000 acceleration/other issues.

Hello, first off, I am brand new to these forums, name is Jake, and I'm NOT much of a mechanic (at all), so please bear with me, and any insight/help I could get would be great!

I have a Sable, specs in subject line, with almost all the listed miles driven highway. The engine was rebuilt at appx 100,000 miles.

The suspension has been almost completely replaced, the oil is changed regularly, the air filter is new, two new tired this past winter. That's about all the maitenance done on the vehicle, I have no idea when it last had a tune up. (this is actually my girlfriends vehicle). Slight oil pan gasket leak that I watch, but it's so miniscule that I haven't had to add any oil between changes (yet). I check it at least every week, along with the tire pressure.

The car actually ran/runs wonderfully, gets acceptable gas mileage, etc. However, the last few weeks, the vehicle has lost a great deal of acceleration, mostly between the 15-25 mph range, seemingly right around 3rd gear. This car scoots most of the time, but the acceleration has been awful.

The vehicle will also shake quite a bit if idled at a red light/train tracks for any amount of time, and when this happens, the check engine light flashes. (its always on, been on since we bought it, just a ford thing I guess). And then the car loses almost all of its acceleration all together.

The vehicle has never completely stalled on me, but it sure seems like it has wanted to a few times. We're going to be taking it in some time this week, but I'd love to have some idea of what is going on with it on my way in. Because it's related to a certain speed range, I've kicked the idea around of a transmission issue specific to the 3rd gear, or a fuel system issue (did have fuel filter checked about 2000 miles ago, mechanic said it was ok).

Obviously, any ideas as to what is wrong with the car would be great, but most important of all to me is: Is my girlfriend in any danger at all driving the vehicle? Does any of what I'm saying sound like the car could present an immediate danger to the driver?

Any help anyone can provide would be EXCELLENT! Thank you!