Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

20yr old noticeable issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 07:50 AM
Default 20yr old noticeable issues

This forum is for discussing any noticeable issues to any new owners of a grand marquis ls/gs and to help others diagnose and address said issues.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:04 AM
Default Squeaks and prone misfire issue.

On my marquis (2000 gs model) I've had issues with my suspension and random misfire problems. I already plan on replacing the whole suspension system even though I've already replaced the whole front end except for shocks and struts. I replaced the whole front end when a tie rod blew out at 148k and I'm now at 179k. I've replaced all my coil packs twice and all the spark plugs 3 times (cylinder 6 predetonated once so I replaced all of them to be safe. My question is should I save up and have the entire suspension replace including shocks and struts? And what could be the cause of random misfires even though I've replaced everything multiple times in 40k miles. I'm keeping the car regardless and will eventually have a full rebuild of the motor including the whole exhaust system (I need new cats). My original intake manifold blew at 154k and I replaced that including the coil packs that got hit by the coolant and haven't had issues with #3 and #4 since. #6 and #8 seem to be the ones that fail regularly. I have a short in my passenger door but have no idea what's causing it but that short doesn't drain my battery either, it's had the short since I bought the car and it's sat for over a month before with no issues starting up. The short causes my volt meter to drop roughly a quarter of the Guage. If anyone has insight on these issues please let me know. I'd rather do the work my self and learn all the ins and outs of this car as opposed to paying a shop a couple grand to fix something I could've done for less than a thousand.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:08 PM

I'm not familiar with the 2000 GS model -- But I have done extensive modifications to the front and rear suspensions of the famous 95 MERC.
Why would you change your spark plugs THREE TIMES over such a short period -- and all the Coils, too ??
From your description of the problems, it appears that you have had ignition mis-fires of unknown causes, but were unable to find a remedy.
You may have a leaky intake manifold, or intake manifold gasket -- that is allowing coolant to short out the spark plugs.
I had that same problem, but solved it completely by replacing the intake manifold gasket set with a premium gasket set from FEL-PRO.
Click here for some ideas on how to improve the performance of your Panther : 1995 Grand Marquis Restoration - Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (1)
Good luck !!

Old 08-29-2022, 02:34 PM

Ive had my 2000 GS for about a year. My second dabble in the Mercury world. Had few CVPI and a 90s grand marquis.... picked up this 2000 GS for $2100 with only 80K on it.

So far, Ive figured out I need to replace the front end and have bought everything to do it. Just need to find the time.

I have the dreaded fast turn signal when the AC is on. Dont know if I will go the lengths needed to fix that.

Recent though, I did replace the Evap purge valve. Since doing so i have noticed it will sometime bog down and almost lose power when im stopped at a redlight. If i put the "faulty" purge valve back on, it doesnt doesnt do it. I also ordered a second purge valve in case the first one was faulty, still does the same thing. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also have noticed that my voltage drops significantly when the AC is on or windows are being rolled up or down. wonder if I need a new battery or maybe my alternator is going to take a deuce soon.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:03 PM
Default Mission Statement ??

Originally Posted by TmanMiller94
This forum is for discussing any noticeable issues to any new owners of a grand marquis ls/gs and to help others diagnose and address said issues.
Thank you, T-Man, and welcome to the Mercury Forums.
This PARTICULAR forum is for the perusal of​ the Owners, Drivers, Racers, and Restorers of all Years of MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS Automobiles.
Mine is the famous '95 MERC -- shown here:​​​​​​ 1995 Grand Marquis Restoration - Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (1)

Old 08-30-2022, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TmanMiller94
I have a short in my passenger door but have no idea what's causing it but that short doesn't drain my battery either, it's had the short since I bought the car and it's sat for over a month before with no issues starting up. The short causes my volt meter to drop roughly a quarter of the Guage. If anyone has insight on these issues please let me know..

How do you know the short is in the passenger door?

Is the light staying on? the light switches that are built into the door locks sometimes fail. I took my door panels off and just unplugged mine since my lights were staying on inside the whole time.