Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

89-How to remove headlight switch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Default 89-How to remove headlight switch?

Any idea how to remove the stupid headlight switch so we can remove the panel? We've tried twisting, pulling gently, and searching all over the web. Is there some kind of trick to this; it seems it should be easy, but we've been trying for some time! Thank you!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

there is a spring clip in the **** you can press with a fish hook to release pressure so **** comes off the light switch arm... or tug the **** off and then take the metal clip off the arm and reinsert it back in the ****... doin this will allow the trim to be pulled off since the **** is biggest thing in the way... by pulling hard on the **** it will slide off and wont hurt your light switch... just make sure to put the spring clip back in the **** and push back on the arm when done.. i saw your post on GMN and here so thought this might help here

Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks, 87_Crown_Vic! I was beginning to wonder if anyone would reply on this site! Your idea seems the easiest....that IS for an 89 Grand Marquis, right? Are you saying the release is within the ****..and not the entire switch box (which is behind the panel). If I just yank it off...do I need to have the know set in any set direction, or will any setting work? Hey...I'm so glad to hear from you. We gave up yesterday, but will try again this evening.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

your 1989 is set up like a 1992 i just did to remove the speedometer... there is a release button behind dash to release the entire rod from the light switch... but you can also just remove **** so that the trim can slide over the rod instead of removing it... i have worked on 1986 and newer ... in 1988 Ford/Mercury changed dash styles for trim and stuff and in 1990 and newer the really changed the dash to where there werent even speakers in the dash anymore. i am familiar with what you are trying to do and figured it would be easier to respond here than on GrandMarq.NET ... if i get to it i will get a few pics of how the **** pops off the rod to let you know what i mean by the spring clip that removes the **** from the rod instead of the whole rod assembly like others suggested...

Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 AM

i have an account with alldata pro and the correct way is to hit the release button and the only way i have found to do this is remove the fuse panel and stick a looong flat head through the hole and hit the button my hands are small so i can reach it but barley and it hurts so yea lon flat head through the fuse panel and there is a small black button that lets the light **** come out easy

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks, Craka D! I'm going to try that! I will report back if I can do it. Thank you, again! luckyfish