Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

92 maquis leaking coolant back of engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM

I have a 92 marquis. I found out that it started to leak coolant around the back of the engine pass. side. found out had a pin hole leak in the heater hoses. Not a problem fixed it! or so I thought.

After running around town and came home there was a puddle of coolant on ground. ok! coolant overflow was empty filled it up and started the car up waited to warm up and found that the coolant is leaking between tranny and the motor (bellhousing and engine) thought it might b the heater core leaking. No sir not the heater core, I look at the pass. side of engine and looked around couldn''t see any streams of liquid. The drivers side from the topIcan''t really see the back of engine due to the wiper motor cover and the numerous wires and hoses. While i crawled under the car and found the leak between the tranny and motor as mentioned above.

Does anyone know where it''s leaking at?

I''m thinking it''s either the drivers head, or the intake gasket on the drivers side.

Would like to know b 4 anything to do on this without tearing it apart. thnx

Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 PM

I hate to ask the obvious, but did you put a pressure tester on it? The leak you are seeing at the rear of the engine, is probably coming from somewhere else and just draining to that point. A pressure test should make it pretty obvious. If you don''t have one, get a telescoping mirror, it will be a great help. My first thought is a freeze plug on the back of the head. Worse case is probably a cracked head or head gasket. Seems like you are mechanically inclined. It is not a overly complicated repair. An experienced helper is my best suggestion.

www.libertylm.com

Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 PM

I agreee, the only way to find these is the pressure test it.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM

pressure test a good answer. no I haven''t tested it yet. the freeze plug my b the prob. but don''t know, seeing i would have to tear the top of the motor apart not sure if it''s in my best interest to do this. don''t have alot of spare time. the long weekend is comin up and just might stick a pressure tester on it and put a head gasket, coolant leak product in the cooling system and try to plug the leak. if successful on this just dump the car.

thnx for the insight both of ya.

thnx