Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

98 batt. light and other issues

Old 05-19-2008, 07:27 PM

I searched the intermittent battery light problemin the forums and nobody ever posted a solution. Background: my car has been doing this for 6 months and the battery is still good and has never failed to start. The gauge appears to dip slightly below half when this happens but I can never catch it with a voltmeter to verify. I am going to try the voltage regulator replacement as it is cheap and post results within a few days.

Other issues: I am having to replace one inner tie rod and one outer on opposite sides due to a very loud popping. Is this an unusual wear pattern? Also an idler arm needs replacing. (130,000 miles).

One door lock actuator quit working. Solution: actually, it is working but is not attched to the door. Apparently these buggers are riveted to the door and it has broken loose. I will pay for some poor soul to tackle this one.lol

New remote bought at Autozone would not program. After calling the co. they said 98 is the one year that must be taken to the dealer. I found an ex_Merc. mechanic that has the program to do it; says it takes about 20 minutes.

Finally, cruise control is not working. Is there an active recall? I searched on Ford's site and it said there was not (by VIN number).

Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 PM

I really do not understand the recall thing. i tried also with my vin and they said there was not a recall for my car. it is a 1998 MGM. I tried for the cruise control recalland they said NO, I guess it will stay broke for now. I currently have 269K on the car!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Have you tried cleaning the connections. I had the same problem and I fixxed it by just putting some lube on all the battery and alternator connections. My light would go on for 5 minutes then go off. it is fine now. check the connections and clean them, you might be surprised[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]