Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Blower Motor Stopped Working Unless on High

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Default Blower Motor Stopped Working Unless on High

This past winter the blower motor in my 96 Grand Marquis started squeeling. It just recently stopped working and will only turn when the dial is set to High. Is this an easy change? Does anyone have a tutorial and a good website to buy the part.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM

the blower motor is accessible from under the hood on the passenger side.

the resistor pack you need to replace for the speeds other than hi to work. check this thread.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the information.

In the thread that you linked to you said...
"Here's some pics of the destroyed one from my car to give you an idea of what to look for.

If yours is this bad, you'll have to replace the wire harness like I did too"

The pictures did not show up for me. I guess I do not even know the location of the heater core. You said it is on the firewall, I assume on the engine side? What does it look like, what will I see, etc? Why does the wire harness need to be replaced too?

Do you remember the cost of the pack and harness?

Thank you very much!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 PM

the pack was about $35. the harness was about $12.

the server was down for a while that hosts the images. it is up now though and the images are loading for me.

The heater core is where the coolant hoses go from the engine back towards the car instead of the radiator. Should be passenger side right below the passenger window wiper. The resistor pack should be located on the firewall there to the right of the heater core housing. You may have difficulty seeing it due to all the wires and vacuum lines and such.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Hmm, images still not showing up for me, I will try later tonight again.

If it does not show up...I assume you cannot see any resistors as the pack is probably sealed so...what does the pack look like? Is it mounted all by itself with 1 harness socket?

Why does the harness need to be replaced?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by DKAudio; 06-30-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 PM

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...19&postcount=1
there's a good pic of a resistor pack from an explorer. the one for the MGM is similar but with a different mounting plate. two screws hold it on and a wire harness plugs into it. the harness plugs into the connector on the pack under the hood with the actual resistors inside the ducting that it's mounted to.

for the blower motor, you'll probably have to remove the coolant reservoir that will block you from pulling the motor out. at least remove the mounting bolts so it will move out of the way. Complete removal of the tank may not be needed. There are 4 screws that mount the motor to the car. just disconnect the wire harness to the motor and remove the screws and replace.

you can find the resistor pack by going from the blower motor (located in the same place as on the explorer in the linked thread above), past the air conditioner stuff, past the heater core, and then on the firewall (duct from the heater core) should be a wire harness with 5 wires going to it. And yes, it's mounted all by itself through the wall of the duct coming off the heater core.

and the only reason to replace the harness itself is if the contacts arced and melted the harness like on mine.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Awesome, thank you very much, I appreciate it.