Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

driving on ice or snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 AM

I have been been driving pick up trucks for close toseveral years now and have always but extra weight in the bed of the truck, to help with traction, during the winter time whenthere was a chance for ice and snow. I now have a 2005 MGM and was wonder if anyone puts some extra weight in the trunk and if so how much? Living around Dallasthere is normally not a lot of snow and ice but it only takes a little for chaos to be created around here. thanks for any input.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:26 PM

&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>Well, I'm living in Northern Indiana, and heard of the weight thing. This is my first winter with a MGM, never had an issue with my Thunderbird. So I was listening to what people had to say, and prepared myself accordingly.

First however, I put new tires on the rear, and top off my gas tank whenever it reaches 1/2 (don't run out of fuel during winter time, especially when stuck).

So I do have quite some weight right on top of the rear axle (the gas tank sits on top of it, remember the "fire" recall?).

We had a snow storm on Tuesday, with black ice. The roads were terrible. On several occasions when stopped at a traffic light, I took of and was gone while different SUV's were spinning their tires.

Since it can't get worse like that, I'm done. No need for any weight in the trunk. Sure, it might add additional traction, but since I never lost it, there's no need for it.

BTW: I bought the Firestone FR380, which are rated "A" in traction and temperature. They have excellent reviews, have whitewalls, and were only $65 a piece, about $20 cheaper than a cheap brand at for example Wal-Mart. Got them from Sears. And even though they have a 55,000 mile treat guarantee, the ride is very smooth. And they are much stiffer duing turns than the 7 year old ones which were on there.

Hope that helps a bit. Just another input.

Greetings! &lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-45"; urchinTracker(); </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 12-06-2007, 05:47 PM

I think 92Mercury gives some great advice with making sure your gas tank is full and having a good set of tires. It's probably all you need for the occasional blast of winter.

I would just add (living here in the snowbelt) that I purchase a few bags of sand from Home Depot. This gives me some additional weight and gives me a source of traction if I do run into trouble (just open a bag and throw sand under your tires). I stay away from salt because of the corrosion "thing" and I find that sand gives better traction on ice. I also jam a bag right over the axle (beside the spare) tire to make more efficient use of the weight.

My all seasons have only have one season left so I'm getting snowtires next week for the first time. We have had snow over the last couple of weeks and my car is all over the place (I feel like Rockford going around corners). I'll let everyone know how well they work once I put them through the test.

And my pet peave is if its bad....turn your traction control off. That way you can really "give er" when needed and you can rock the car if stuck.

Just my 2 cents worth (now on par).

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 PM

And well appreciated.

I would have put salt in there, just for the ice melt thing. But you're right, the risk of corrosion is just too high.

And yes, you should put the weight on top of the axle, so you mentioning to put them where the spare tire is, yep, that's the right spot.

Also, I saw that Menard's sells sand bags, called "Sand-in-a-bag", which can be partially formed to fit wheel wells and similar. $8 a bag, not bad at all.

Greetings!