Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

snow tires vs chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Default snow tires vs chains

I just got my 04 gm. Winter is on its way and I'm concerned about traction in snowy/icy conditions. I'd like to see what other folks have done in regards to snow tires and if anyone has recommendations on snow chains.

Traction control has been initiated on wet roads, it will be real interesting to see how it does with really slippery conditions.

thanks

ken

Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Default Snow tires & chains

Here in Tacoma WA. we had a snow storm. I was kind of disappointed that the snow wasn't slippery. Then I noticed other cars were having trouble maintaining traction. The fact is the snow was slippery, the Blizzaks just have very good traction in the stuff, better than my studded tires had. The tires are very good in snow & even on our now icy streets they are performing very well.

These tires are on my 09 Grand Marquis, & for it to outperform the front wheel drive cars with these tires says something. I notice other cars were having trouble going & even 4x4 were having trouble stopping & I wasn't having trouble stopping. I have the Blizzaks on all 4 wheels is why I wasn't having trouble stopping. On a scale of 1-10 they are about a 12.

The above is a tread I had in the tire section.

As far as for which is better, snow tires or chains, chains are much better, especially on ice, but they are a pain to put on. That is why I went with snow tires. I do carry chains with me just in case the hill is to ice for the snow tires.

I know you said that the traction control has been initiated on wet roads. You probably have so called all season tires which are anything but that. They are poor snow tires. They do a good job in summer & wet conditions if you don't give it too much throttle.

Another I have found that helps a lot in the snow & ice conditions is to take off in second gear. Not only does this reduce the torque, but the computer also reduces the engine torque making it much easier to take off without wheel spin.
Don

Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

i am used to just putting on a set of mud or all terrain truck tires for the winter... i was driving around in snow 6 inches deep where streets werent plowed and a few times i was doin better than the AWD, 4x4, and FWD cars... i used to live on a farm so the all terrain mud tires came in handy for more than just winter when i needed to get stuff done around the farm since i used my old 1987 Crown Vic as a truck cause i didnt own one at the time