Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

failed emissions! P1409

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Default failed emissions! P1409

hi there, im new to the forums and any help is much appreciated! i have a 2000 grand marquis that just failed emmisions due to having some codes and engine light. It has the following codes

P1409 EGR vacuum regulator EVR control system fault
and
P1000 obd check incomplete
and
B1257 air temperature exterior sensor circuit short to ground

any one have an idea how I can fix this?

im pretty handy with my hands. I really need help as i need to pass the emmision and im driving on exprired sticker.

thanks very much, Mike

ps what parts shall i possibly need to replace?

its gpt 378k on it drives well

Old 06-01-2015, 11:57 PM

Years ago an emissions inspection station attendant told me be come back after running my 10-year old Chevy up and down the freeway several times to heat things up. Along the way I put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the tank. That may or may not be all you need, but it probably won't hurt.
The Miami Herald once suggested that these stations create more pollution than they eliminate, due to people running their engines during the tests. The theory was that by the 90s cars were so well made that even ones with ten years and 100,000 miles didn't pollute significantly more than when they were new.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM

i absolutely agree Mark! but whatcan you do right! Its in Canada and they are pretty much as strict as california

Old 07-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Default Emissions Testing

Getting automotive advice from The Miami Herald is like learning to fly from a hippopotamus.
What I'm saying is -- their comments and the theory behind them is totally false -- or, as they say these days: "fake news".
We cannot treat all Emissions Testing the same, as the tests vary from state-to-state, and all State Standards are not the same, either.
The guy that told you to "run it up and down the freeway" was right -- best test results come after a "heat soak", such as a 20-mile run at freeway speeds. This allows the Catalytic Converters to get fully heated up, and "burn off" any accumulations.
A few simple checks to make BEFORE you take the test:
1. New Air Filter.
2. New PCV Valve, if equipped.
3. Fuel Injector Cleaner -- add to tank BEFORE complete fill-up (Chevron's Techron in the 20-ounce bottle is perfect for a 20-gallon tank).
It's best to add the F.I. Cleaner a week before you plan to take the test -- it needs time to do the job.
4. ALL accessories to be turned OFF at test time.
5. If your rig runs properly on "Regular" gas, DO NOT add "Premium" fuel -- Premium fuel DOESN'T help to "clean out" the engine.
6. ALWAYS keep your tires properly inflated -- get a digital tire gauge, and check your tire pressures monthly.
At 166,400 miles, The 95 MERC has never failed an Emissions Test.

95 MERC Engine Bay