Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

General questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Default General questions

Hello All. Couple of Q, any help is appreciated. My 91 GM is totally stock. What emissions stuff (air pump specifically) can I remove and still pass a smog inspection? GA doesn't look under the hood, just checks the tailpipe and does a check on the gas cap. I'm just looking to clean up under the hood, plus there is one clearly broken pipe near the passenger side of the engine. (I know when I put a stock Mustang 93 engine into my 66 Mustang couple, I removed all emissions stuff including the EGR valve, and the car runs great, no codes. I installed a resistor in the stock EFI wiring to 'fool' the computer that the EGR vavle was still there. I still have O2 sensors, though.)
Also, where should I start in trying to diagnose my non-working driver's window?
Thanks for any help, or threads you can point me to.

Gary in GA

Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM

non-working driver window is probably the motor plugs. any parts store should know what you're looking for if you ask for power window motor plugs (they're 3 nylon cylinders). You may have to drill the door to get access to the screws that hold the motor to the window regulator though. if so, you'll need a half inch drill bit that can go through hard steel. There will be 3 dimples in the door where you'll need to drill. you can also replace the nylon plugs with ball bearings to keep from having to replace them (what I did to my 88 and 93 land yachts).

as for removing the smog pump... I'm not sure how much of a negative affect it would have. if you know anyone that has access to a tail-pipe sniffer and would let you try it, just take the vacuum line off the smog pump and plug it then run a sniff test, it it is well within spec, then there shouldn't be any issue. Personally, I'm waiting for my car to be classified as a classic (safety test only, no emission tests) and then I'll remove the cats and smog pump.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

it can be a headache with blocking off vacuum lines and such... especially the ones leading from rear of cylinder heads... all i usually do is track the hose to the smog and plug it with a bolt... the red vac line going to the fender i put a screw in the boot at the multiple hose connector to block it off. as long as you do a tune-up, and oil change and have car hot prior to sniffer check, you should be good. i know many people that also have rammed their cats and still passed with what looked like intact cats. dont use boosters or higher grade fuel before test since it causes higher hydrocarbons. takin a guess you want it lookin like this...

Name:  Cocoasgreenengine.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  Cocoasgreenengine1.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  35.1 KB

instead of it looking like the stock version???

Name:  Cocoaenginebefore.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  75.4 KB

Last edited by 87_Crown_Vic; 01-19-2010 at 09:52 PM.