General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1994 Grand Marquis General Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Lightbulb 1994 Grand Marquis General Advice

Hello everyone! I just picked up a 1994 Grand Marquis today and I am absolutely in love with it, It's in really great condition and only 80K miles on it. I only have a few minor fixes on the car and a leaky oil pressure switch to change out. I was wondering if anyone had any general advice on this car to help me watch out for problematic components that I should be prepared to restore or replace. The A/C works great and is R134a (not sure if that is factory or not) The back windows seemed to be jammed but I'm not sure if its the motor or not, still gotta pull the door apart. The odometer stopped working I'm not sure if I need to replace the entire gauge cluster or not and how difficult that might be. and maybe a replacement sideview mirror motor. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM

PS Does anyone know of any Grand Marquis or Panther Platform clubs in South Florida? It would be nice to see how my car matches up and allow me to see what I need to work on so I can fully restore this car nicely!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Congratulations on the purchase of your Grand Marquis! I love the older-style bodies, they look very nice. Anyhow, I was reading both of your posts here and I can (unfortunately) only answer the first post within this thread. So, here it goes

Grand Marquis' are generally very reliable vehicles and need little to no maintenance to keep them running for thousands (even hundreds of thousands) of miles. The same goes for your model year of 1994. Though, I have heard of a trouble spot.

This "spot" in question is the failure of the EGR passages where exhaust gases are recirculated. They can fail and you will need to replace them. A check of Edmunds.com underneath their "Reliability" tab confirms these "rumors" (however, when looking at Edmund's website, I take their reliability ratings with a grain of salt (depending on the vehicle in question)). The cost to repair the EGR passages is

...estimated at $130.00 for labor.The cost to repair the Air Bypass Tube is estimated at $15.00 for parts and $32.50 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
At that shop rate, I would imagine that this repair was performed at a dealership. I know of nobody, who owns a '94 model year Marquis, with these issues.

Though, I would not let this scare you. Again, I haven't know anyone with this vehicle that has had problems of that nature and I wouldn't expect any issue like that to come up anytime soon.

Enjoy your car, and I hope this helped!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Smile

Thanks for your input! I will look into this, I'm not at all scared of the price because I'm pretty confident in my mechanical skills and I can easily learn whatever knowledge there is to be had, so I should be able to overcome any of those obstacles. Just in case anyone should Google or read this thread in the future I have found that since my purchase a few things that tend to go bad in this vehicle. One of these things is the Oil Pressure Switch/Sender which is located directly below the oil filter, this sender tends to get loose and leak oil, and the "stock" wire connection is very crummy and easily comes off, changing the sender during an oil change and replacing the connector with an eye connection is an easy cheap fix right around $8 with my model. Another from what I have heard and my experience is that after a while the water pump should be replaced, and while doing so it is recommend to go ahead and change the thermostat which is only another $6. From what I have read these cars can tend to overheat a little bit, but a little time flushing out the coolant system and checking for blockages to the radiator should fix this. I have only encountered a few simple problems since I have had the car and have no doubt that with the proper maintenance this is one of the more reliable cars on the market!