Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

grandmas 89 marquis

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

if you can find a mustang HO upper intake you just need to flip it to face the way our cars go... you wont need the egr spacer but will need to snag the throttlebody. i usually find my HO intakes from lincoln Mark 7 with the HO. cant always go by that cover plate that says 5.0 ....... you need to remove that and under that is where it says if the intake is a true HO .... you dont think i paint the stock ones and put them on now do you? i paint the HO setup since it wont be getting replaced at any point then install that and scrap the stock upper intake. my panther chassis cars here have HO uppers on them and my 2 door Crown Vic i am resurrecting is getting a typhoon upper and lower intake that i got off ebay. the typhoon is better breathing then the HO but costs around $200 or more if you can find one

Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM

If I find one, I'll probably take the whole upper intake to throttle body so I don't have to break the seals on those gaskets. If they're as stuck on as the one on my car, getting them apart may end up breaking something (mine seems to be welded together, it's so stuck on).

Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

i use a screw driver and hammer to tap down in the grooves to pop them loose... wont break anything... the throttle body on a HO works opposite way compared to what is on our cars because the upper intake is reversed on HO setups

Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM

true. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get the guts up to do that much to my car. I'm a little timid when it comes to internal engine stuff since I've never actually done any of that (replace the camshaft). Right now I'm more intent on making my intake a true cold air intake.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM

I have a 1993 Grand Marquis and im wanting to put dual exhaust on it yall have any recommendation of what i should get? im trying to keep it cheap as possible too...

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM

if you want to do it as cheap as possible, go get a set off a police interceptor from the cats out the tail from a junk yard. If that's not an option, get some bolt-on hangers, H-pipe and driver side tail pipe along with a muffler and weld it all together. Autozone sells the H-pipe and tail-pipe together for less than $100 if I remember right.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 PM

i got jacked

Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 PM

how so? someone steal the ride? someone steal your money and not give you parts?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM

I put dual exhaust ( flow masters) on mine recently... it helped a little bit... you coulc put a cold air intake on it... and i have came to the conclusion that BP gas lasts longer than any other gas out there... they put invigorate in thier gas and it helps your gas mileage and you engine...

Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 PM

It's amazing what fuel quality will do to these cars.. Any car really.. My 96 MGM is quite fussey about it.. When I was claims adjusting I got sent all over the place.. I was sent to on particular area for a few weeks, and bought gas in that area as it was convieient.. At the same time the car got extremely hard to start... Up to 30+ seconds of crank time if I was lucky.. After doing the normal stufff (plugs, fuel filter, clean MAF, check sensors) nothing chancged.. When I got back to my local area and filling at my normal stop the problem went away right away on the first tank of gas... Some places I;ve bought gas have induced constant sallting fits and other odd issues..

I guess this should be for another thread.. AS a matter of fact I think I will out of curiosity..