Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

How can 5 qrts oil be too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Default How can 5 qrts oil be too much?

I just changed the oil and filter in my '91 Marquis. Did nothing different from before: drained from both plugs, changed filters, refilled with 5 quarts of oil. So why does the dipstick (completely seated and checked at least 6 times) show oil line at least 1 1/2" above "Fill"?? Before I changed the oil, I did put in 16oz or Risilone Oil Compression (to help with a sticky oil ring situation) and drove 150 miles. Then I drained it out completely before adding new oil. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

your 5.0L has a double sump pan... therefore it will read different after driving and stuff sepending on where oil settled into the oil pan

Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic
your 5.0L has a double sump pan... therefore it will read different after driving and stuff sepending on where oil settled into the oil pan
Thanks for your reply! I forgot to put int my original post that the dipstick is reading that after I had driven at least 40 miles. I was not just a 1/8" or 1/4" over "Fill", but way above that. Last night I decided it was too high to be safe (churned oil might be dangerous to the crankcase internal parts) I drained out what was in the front sump. It is still about 1/4" above "Fill", but is better than it was. Still, can't figure out how pouring in a gallon container of Valvoline 10w30 and a qrt container of 10w30 would make the level that much higher-----unless, the gallon container was overfilled at the factory? It's still a puzzler to me.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:49 AM

I usually fill my FL1A Motorcraft oil filter with oil from one of the five quarts I use to fill my 302 in my Cougar during an oil change. Also, I remove the oil fill cap and pull the dipstick halfway out before I drain. I raise the car and place a couple chunks of 2x8 under the drivers side front tire then drop both drain plugs. I will let it set for awhile to drain, set the pan so it will catch the final drippage from the plug holes and the filter as I drop it next into the pan. I always make sure the gasket came off with the filter before I put the new one on. Now I clean the drain plug surfaces, install new plug gaskets then tighten em up. Throw the filter on quickly to avoid spillage, and hand tighten it (don't forget to smear fresh oil on that gasket to aid in removal next time). Throw the 4 and remainder of 5th quart in, install cap, lower dipstick back into tube, start her up for a few seconds to circulate, shut her off and check the level. I am usually right on the full mark at that time.

Couple of tips:

Make sure you are not using an entire "5+ quart jug that Valvoline is currently selling.

Maybe the angle of raising just the front drivers tire helps in drainage along with removing the fill cap on the valve cover during drainage to help it flow better.(Heck maybe I'm nuts, just been a habit!)

Hope this might help track down your problem.
Tim

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

5 quarts is what the engine needs... the dipsticks used werent always accurate... trust me on this... if not... go to www.grandmarq.net and read what they have to say about the matter