Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   increasing mpg on 96 MGM (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/increasing-mpg-n-96-mgm-1835/)

v8pwr 06-23-2008 12:55 AM

hi everyone, i was wondering if installing the tornado air will improve my
gas mileage. i have a K&N cold air intake installed and has given me positive
results in hp and mpg. i was going to couple the tornado with the cold air to
see if i can increase my mpg. thanks

FTLOSM 06-24-2008 06:37 PM

Just curious do you have the digital dash that gives you average mileage and if so how much difference do you see after adding at K&N?

I have a v8 97 marquis and average 17MPG according to the digital dash (no modifications).

jason sereiko 06-24-2008 09:19 PM

you are better off purchasing premium spark plugs. newPlugs make a huge difference on mileage and top of the line ones will give you the best mileage. this is a proven mpg in a positive way. the tornado does not really have consistant results.

v8pwr 06-24-2008 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by FTLOSM

Just curious do you have the digital dash that gives you average mileage and if so how much difference do you see after adding at K&N?

I have a v8 97 marquis and average 17MPG according to the digital dash (no modifications).

wen i ever i dont step on the accelerator hard i get about 16-17 mpg. now with k&n i get 18-19 mpgi even had it at 20 for a while. lowest i got without k&n was 11-12mpg(accel hard). with k&n the lowesti get is 14mpg. all these averages are city. highway i havent tried.

FTLOSM 06-25-2008 07:47 AM

Jason,

About time for new plugs for me what premium plugs might work best in a v8 -97 grand marquis?

Also what gap?

Bill :)

jason sereiko 06-25-2008 09:31 AM

bosh platinum are the best bang for the buck for mpg. they also have a new bosh platinum fusion plug that is more expensive but suppose to be awesome. these plugs are pre-gapped from the manufacture. if you go with something else just ask the parts guy for that plug what they recommend for the gap/

FTLOSM 06-25-2008 11:13 PM

What is the "aprox" lifespan of an oem spark plug in a 97 marquis v8?

I honestly don''t know if the plugs or wires have ever been changed...

I am at 72K on this vehicle btw.

Bought it used at 60K and have been doing everything from trans and radiator flush to new brakes tires exhaust, darn intake melted had to get a new one and blew a head gasket at same time, slow but sure putting this thing back to a solid car, drives like a dream, but no idea on the plugs or wires as to when they were last (if ever) changed.

Talked to a guy at Napa Auto today about the Bosch Plat Fusions he said the mechanincs at a few shops tried them but never bought more (told me just stick to common oem replacements).

Bill

jason sereiko 06-26-2008 10:06 AM

Common ones are good but not great. platinum last the longest and give the best mpg through the lifespan of the plug. I would go with platinum plugs they don''t have to be the expensive fusion ones. the stock plugs will last up to 90K,but keep in mind that the mpgs will drop a bunch after 40K on a plug. It is time for you to get new plugs and you might get away with the wires for about 15K more but you mine as well change them

jason sereiko 06-26-2008 10:09 AM

Cheap plugs get hotter faster and thats why the mpgs fall down after driving 15 minutes. the platinum will be consitent and not drop mpgs. Remember better spark means better burning fuel faster and that euates to better mpgs. Wire might help but if you are on a budget stick with the plugs for now and change the wires when you get more money. THE FUEL FILTER IS THE FIRST THING you should change if you just purchased it and it has never been changed. it is easy and loctaed under the passagner side by the frame

jason sereiko 06-26-2008 10:37 AM

Here is what I would do if I was on a budget. Change the plugs to platinum, change the fuel filter and change the air filter. I would then purcase a 5.00 chan of mass air flow cleaner. not throttle body cleaner. but mass air flow claner and clean out the mass air flow. this will give you the best mpgs and keep you at around 80.00 total

jason sereiko 06-26-2008 11:18 PM

sorry about the misspell. I ment a" can of mass air flow cleaner"

you can also purchase throttle body cleaner and clean the butterfly fot a better air seal. this will give you better performance and better mpgs at take off from idle.

pdh_71 07-01-2008 10:24 PM

I don''t understand how some of you guys get such terrible gas mileage.

I''m using stock...ummm...EVERYTHING.

I get 19-20 in the city, if I catch a lot of lights about 18...utilize the power of the v8 about 16-17.

Driving the speed limit on the highway about 24-25...speeding 10-25mph over...about 21-23.

I run 87 octane gas with no ethanol. I''ve heard gas is different in different areas of the country but I suppose that has more to do with the amount of hydrocarbons in relation to the outside temperature, however, I have fueled up in FL, IL, PA, DC, MO, AR, and OH. Noticed no difference outside of what I specified above.

The vehicle is also 8 years old, 131,200 km, and has had nothing done to it other than oil changes, air filter change, new tires, and tire rotations.

jason sereiko 07-02-2008 12:39 PM

one overlooked way to lose mpg''s is a dirty mass air flow sensor that is comonly never cleaned. This is caused by running a dirty air filter that gets the sensor wire dirty.

I have 269K miles on my mercury grand marquis and it gets 18 city and 23 hwy. pretty darn good for the miles if you ask me.

bcarter 08-27-2008 09:56 PM

Has anybody heard about water to gas systems? I have been doing some reading on the internet about them. It seems that they are based on sound science (browns gas), but I would love to know if any has actually tried it. There are three books that you can buy off the net, I actaully bought the cheapest one and after reading it, it''s sound more complicated then I expected.

Thanks in advance

jason sereiko 08-27-2008 10:51 PM

No I have not, what is it? is it a catalist to make fuel or something?

If gas prices keep going up i think I am going to put 3 large golf cart 12Volt motors in the car and run them on electrity.

bcarter 08-28-2008 07:20 AM

Here are two links to what I am talking about, lets make it three actually. The first is the company I guess who started it, it includes video. The second is a site I found that examines "as seen on TV" and evaluates them. The third is the good old mythbusters who I figured might have a sceientific plus unbiased view on the system.

http://www.water4gas.com/2books.htm

http://hubpages.com/hub/water4gas-scam-revealed

http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.co...594675/water+t o+gas?t=anon

As I said, I am trying to find out more about this topic and decide if it is worth "risking" my engine. I do have a friend who spoke to a guy who uses the system on his truck and has for years. I didn''t pay much attention when he was first talking about it, but now that gas has gone up so much, I now am !

P.K. 08-28-2008 05:12 PM

Look at this site, http://www.preignitioncc.com/wjessee/ I just today received their Hydro Assist Fuel Cell kit that I ordered. It is a little costly, but you get what you pay for.I also got their 6 disc dvd teaching on how to install and adjust for best mileage. how important is it to you that the oil companies are stealing your money? I for one am trying to do something about it.Also the car manufactuers are together with the oil companies to not give you the best mileage from their cars. do the research and you will find this out.

jason sereiko 08-28-2008 06:39 PM

the last I heard was that the us govt. was giving grants to the auto industry for the first guy to have a completely fuel less car for production

bcarter 08-28-2008 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by P.K.
Look at this site, http://www.preignitioncc.com/wjessee/ I just today received their Hydro Assist Fuel Cell kit that I ordered. It is a little costly, but you get what you pay for.I also got their 6 disc dvd teaching on how to install and adjust for best mileage. how important is it to you that the oil companies are stealing your money? I for one am trying to do something about it.Also the car manufactuers are together with the oil companies to not give you the best mileage from their cars. do the research and you will find this out.

So how much did this end up costing you ? I assume you are installing on a grand marquis ? Let us know ! Any way to save on gas that is proven will interest me at least.

P.K. 08-28-2008 10:30 PM

The price of this unit ( Hydro Assist Fuel Cell ),HAFC for short, cost $1065.00. I am installing this unit myself with the help from GOD. It is going on a 1995 Grand Marquis LS. I also have to tap into the cars computer and install their override computer, to tell the car to get better mileage. On their site they installed a unit on a 2002 Grand Marquis, before install the car got 26.7 mpg, after the install it got 64.3 mpg.that is a 141% increase.Now that is something to talk about. Is it worth putting on your car?

jason sereiko 08-28-2008 10:52 PM

DUDE, now that is a deal. can you post pics? how long does one last before a complete overhaul

jason sereiko 08-28-2008 11:17 PM

Pk.. Jesus is the Lord.

Do you think that all of this hydro stuff is to good to be true? I was just thinking about with car sales at an ultimate low and cars stopping production like the dodge viper this year, why not put this on some cars for profit? whay not atleast offer it as an aftermarker install fom a dealer when you buy a new car? I really love the idea and if it works I would purchase it today. Is there any way you can research this more and post some things about it. maybe we can get you a seperate part on this forum for MPG''s/ Everyone wants to save money on gas. I think iy can work if you get some more info and post it. you cann save it on your spreadsheet and then cut and paste it when you are ready on this forum.

I am excited to see what you come up with if you deceide to do it. I can help if you need some help. Post message me so we can talk

Your brother in Christ, Jason