Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

increasing mpg on 96 MGM

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 AM

hi everyone, i was wondering if installing the tornado air will improve my
gas mileage. i have a K&N cold air intake installed and has given me positive
results in hp and mpg. i was going to couple the tornado with the cold air to
see if i can increase my mpg. thanks

Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Just curious do you have the digital dash that gives you average mileage and if so how much difference do you see after adding at K&N?

I have a v8 97 marquis and average 17MPG according to the digital dash (no modifications).

Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 PM

you are better off purchasing premium spark plugs. newPlugs make a huge difference on mileage and top of the line ones will give you the best mileage. this is a proven mpg in a positive way. the tornado does not really have consistant results.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by FTLOSM

Just curious do you have the digital dash that gives you average mileage and if so how much difference do you see after adding at K&N?

I have a v8 97 marquis and average 17MPG according to the digital dash (no modifications).

wen i ever i dont step on the accelerator hard i get about 16-17 mpg. now with k&n i get 18-19 mpgi even had it at 20 for a while. lowest i got without k&n was 11-12mpg(accel hard). with k&n the lowesti get is 14mpg. all these averages are city. highway i havent tried.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:47 AM

Jason,

About time for new plugs for me what premium plugs might work best in a v8 -97 grand marquis?

Also what gap?

Bill

Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM

bosh platinum are the best bang for the buck for mpg. they also have a new bosh platinum fusion plug that is more expensive but suppose to be awesome. these plugs are pre-gapped from the manufacture. if you go with something else just ask the parts guy for that plug what they recommend for the gap/

Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 PM

What is the "aprox" lifespan of an oem spark plug in a 97 marquis v8?

I honestly don''t know if the plugs or wires have ever been changed...

I am at 72K on this vehicle btw.

Bought it used at 60K and have been doing everything from trans and radiator flush to new brakes tires exhaust, darn intake melted had to get a new one and blew a head gasket at same time, slow but sure putting this thing back to a solid car, drives like a dream, but no idea on the plugs or wires as to when they were last (if ever) changed.

Talked to a guy at Napa Auto today about the Bosch Plat Fusions he said the mechanincs at a few shops tried them but never bought more (told me just stick to common oem replacements).

Bill

Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Common ones are good but not great. platinum last the longest and give the best mpg through the lifespan of the plug. I would go with platinum plugs they don''t have to be the expensive fusion ones. the stock plugs will last up to 90K,but keep in mind that the mpgs will drop a bunch after 40K on a plug. It is time for you to get new plugs and you might get away with the wires for about 15K more but you mine as well change them

Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 AM

Cheap plugs get hotter faster and thats why the mpgs fall down after driving 15 minutes. the platinum will be consitent and not drop mpgs. Remember better spark means better burning fuel faster and that euates to better mpgs. Wire might help but if you are on a budget stick with the plugs for now and change the wires when you get more money. THE FUEL FILTER IS THE FIRST THING you should change if you just purchased it and it has never been changed. it is easy and loctaed under the passagner side by the frame

Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 AM

Here is what I would do if I was on a budget. Change the plugs to platinum, change the fuel filter and change the air filter. I would then purcase a 5.00 chan of mass air flow cleaner. not throttle body cleaner. but mass air flow claner and clean out the mass air flow. this will give you the best mpgs and keep you at around 80.00 total

Quick Reply: increasing mpg on 96 MGM