Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

increasing mpg on 96 MGM

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM

sorry about the misspell. I ment a" can of mass air flow cleaner"

you can also purchase throttle body cleaner and clean the butterfly fot a better air seal. this will give you better performance and better mpgs at take off from idle.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:24 PM

I don''t understand how some of you guys get such terrible gas mileage.

I''m using stock...ummm...EVERYTHING.

I get 19-20 in the city, if I catch a lot of lights about 18...utilize the power of the v8 about 16-17.

Driving the speed limit on the highway about 24-25...speeding 10-25mph over...about 21-23.

I run 87 octane gas with no ethanol. I''ve heard gas is different in different areas of the country but I suppose that has more to do with the amount of hydrocarbons in relation to the outside temperature, however, I have fueled up in FL, IL, PA, DC, MO, AR, and OH. Noticed no difference outside of what I specified above.

The vehicle is also 8 years old, 131,200 km, and has had nothing done to it other than oil changes, air filter change, new tires, and tire rotations.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

one overlooked way to lose mpg''s is a dirty mass air flow sensor that is comonly never cleaned. This is caused by running a dirty air filter that gets the sensor wire dirty.

I have 269K miles on my mercury grand marquis and it gets 18 city and 23 hwy. pretty darn good for the miles if you ask me.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 PM

Has anybody heard about water to gas systems? I have been doing some reading on the internet about them. It seems that they are based on sound science (browns gas), but I would love to know if any has actually tried it. There are three books that you can buy off the net, I actaully bought the cheapest one and after reading it, it''s sound more complicated then I expected.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 PM

No I have not, what is it? is it a catalist to make fuel or something?

If gas prices keep going up i think I am going to put 3 large golf cart 12Volt motors in the car and run them on electrity.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM

Here are two links to what I am talking about, lets make it three actually. The first is the company I guess who started it, it includes video. The second is a site I found that examines "as seen on TV" and evaluates them. The third is the good old mythbusters who I figured might have a sceientific plus unbiased view on the system.

http://www.water4gas.com/2books.htm

http://hubpages.com/hub/water4gas-scam-revealed

http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.co...594675/water+t o+gas?t=anon

As I said, I am trying to find out more about this topic and decide if it is worth "risking" my engine. I do have a friend who spoke to a guy who uses the system on his truck and has for years. I didn''t pay much attention when he was first talking about it, but now that gas has gone up so much, I now am !

Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 PM

Look at this site, http://www.preignitioncc.com/wjessee/ I just today received their Hydro Assist Fuel Cell kit that I ordered. It is a little costly, but you get what you pay for.I also got their 6 disc dvd teaching on how to install and adjust for best mileage. how important is it to you that the oil companies are stealing your money? I for one am trying to do something about it.Also the car manufactuers are together with the oil companies to not give you the best mileage from their cars. do the research and you will find this out.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 PM

the last I heard was that the us govt. was giving grants to the auto industry for the first guy to have a completely fuel less car for production

Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by P.K.
Look at this site, http://www.preignitioncc.com/wjessee/ I just today received their Hydro Assist Fuel Cell kit that I ordered. It is a little costly, but you get what you pay for.I also got their 6 disc dvd teaching on how to install and adjust for best mileage. how important is it to you that the oil companies are stealing your money? I for one am trying to do something about it.Also the car manufactuers are together with the oil companies to not give you the best mileage from their cars. do the research and you will find this out.

So how much did this end up costing you ? I assume you are installing on a grand marquis ? Let us know ! Any way to save on gas that is proven will interest me at least.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:30 PM

The price of this unit ( Hydro Assist Fuel Cell ),HAFC for short, cost $1065.00. I am installing this unit myself with the help from GOD. It is going on a 1995 Grand Marquis LS. I also have to tap into the cars computer and install their override computer, to tell the car to get better mileage. On their site they installed a unit on a 2002 Grand Marquis, before install the car got 26.7 mpg, after the install it got 64.3 mpg.that is a 141% increase.Now that is something to talk about. Is it worth putting on your car?

Quick Reply: increasing mpg on 96 MGM