Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Interior Lights Turn Back On While Car is Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Default Interior Lights Turn Back On While Car is Off

After I turn off my car and shut the door the interior lights turn off, then a few seconds later they turn back on. Later (about a minute or so) the lights will turn off again only to turn back on. I think this is happening because the car is set so that interior lights automatically turn off after a certain amount of time when the car is off, but something is turning them back on every time. All the doors are slammed shut and the interior light switch is off and the interior lights will still come on. I have a 99 Grand Marquis.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM

sounds like the Lighting Control Module is having issues. First thing to do though is check the door buttons (in the jam that trips the lights) and make sure they're not loose. If one is loose, it may cause this behavior. I'm betting on the LCM myself (it's not cheap to replace though - so you might ask for a second or third opinion if the door switches don't fix it).

Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 AM

There is must be a autolock that lids to light. I don't think that car seems to be error on it. This is a good thing. You should proud to be having this car.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM

There are a few possible causes for this, but let's tackle the easy stuff first. Your car may have door ajar switches integrated into the door latch mechinism. These get corroded and dirty from yesr of use. Open all four doors, and spray generously some TV Tuner spray (safe for plastics type-RadioShack sells a version) into the latch mechanism. Keep a towl, or rag handy to catch overspray and run off. Spray deep into the openings, and flush around the latch clasp, too.

Cycle the door opne and shut a few times. Then spray some penetrating lube (I like TriFlow, but others use PB Blaster, or even WD40) into the mechanism and cycle the doors open and shut a few times.

See if this fixes the issue. Also, go ahead while you are at it and flush out the trunnk's latch assembly.

If you still have the problem, my second most likely guess here is the door keypad. You can prove this by removing the driver's door panel, and simply unplugging the door's keypad cable. If this fixes your problem, then you can swap the keypad yourself, or live without it and re-assemble the door.

If these two items do not fix your issue, then I suspect a grounding problem in your dash pot's circuit, and you may want to consult a good electrical troubleshooter for this.

Let us know how you make out, Bill

Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM

FYI this link below has some info to your issue:

http://www.55krc.com/cc-common/media...oor_ajar_video

Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the help. Eventually my battery died and once I started it again the problem was no longer there. Im not sure what that means but this could happen again I suppose.