Knocking/ticking noise behind usual engine noise - Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums > Vehicle Line Up > Grand Marquis
Reload this Page >

Knocking/ticking noise behind usual engine noise

Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Knocking/ticking noise behind usual engine noise

Old 09-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Default Knocking/ticking noise behind usual engine noise

2005 Grand Marquis LS, 150,600 Miles. Just replaced the EGR valve after purchasing the car a few weeks ago. Changed the oil last week, used 5w20.

There was a quiet squeal like there was an issue with a belt or pulley or something. But only on cold start. By the time I got down the road and up to speed it went away. Havenít heard it in a few days now.

noise Iím worried about is a ticking/knocking coming from the motor when it isles and when I accelerate. Iíll post a video or two of the car running, it might not come through in the audio.

Going to get it diagnosed Thursday, but itís $120 for an hour of labor. Not thrilled about that bit. Any advice or possible recommendations would be greatly appreciated

wasnt necessarily trying to show anything in the video, just tried to get it closer to the noise.

Last edited by Fricii; 09-18-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 09-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Turns out my left catalytic converter was destroyed. Shop quoted me $427 on the repair. $75 for labor, $307 for the part.

I was able to find the part online for $162, and a buddy who runs a shop a few towns over is going to throw it on for $60.

happy camper.