Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

need advice re 94 G Marq

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM

steering wheel squeaks when turning and is loose... was suggested that I try adding steering fluid before taking it to the shop. how do I do that? what is the likely cause of the problem and what should it cost to fix in San Francisco area (high end)? thanks

Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM

the steering wheel squeaks or the steering system squeaks?

if it''s the wheel inside the car, then you''ll need to grease or replace bearings to get it to shut up or tighten the supports.

if you mean the steering system, the squeaks are probably coming from joints and not the steering pump. the joints need to be greased through the grease fittings (little nipple connectors on virtually every joint in the steering system). If it''s a groaning sound rather than a squeak, then adding some power steering fluid to the power steering reservoir under the hood will be best. it should be on the driver side wheel well under the hood on the 94. just put power steering fluid (valvoline max life with stop leak would probably be best for your old car) in the reservoir until it comes up to the max line on the side of the tank. I know my 88 squeaks sometimes, but that''s the plastic collar on the back of the steering wheel rubbing on the plastic shrouds covering the steering column, so I don''t worry about that.

as for price, if it''s just fluid, then there''s a leak somewhere and it could cost anywhere from $20 for a replacement power steering fluid line (do it yourself) to $500 for pump replacement by a mechanic in high rent districts to $1500 for all steering parts to be replaced if it''s really bad (this is VERY VERY VERY ... Unlikely)

I''d try just topping off the fluid first. you should be able to get a small bottle of the max life with stop leak power steering fluid at a parts store for under $10.