Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Need help! Throttle body problems

Old 03-31-2011, 10:48 PM
Default Need help! Throttle body problems

I recently did a motor swap. I put the motor out of a 96 and put it in a 94. The throttle body has an extra vaccum port on the drivers side and i dont know where it goes. My brakes are not full working but i cant find an extra line anywhere. What do i do? Do i just plug the port or find a way to hook the brake bosster to it?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:37 AM

Your brake booster needs a vacuum source, but it sounds like you have it hooked up, but have an extra vacuum port that you 94 doesn't need. But if does need to be plugged to prevent a big vacuum leak which not only could reduce the vacuum to the brakes, but should also be making the engine run poorly. The vacuum to the brakes should be a large port. But if a port isn't being used, it needs to be plugged.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 AM

Ok. The larger vaccum line coming off the brake booster goes to a plastic port mounted on the firewall and a small line goes off that to the passenger side of the throttle body. So i already have a vaccum source for the booster. And my old throttle body didnt have this extra port. So plugging it will fix my brake issue? And will it take time for brake pressure to build up being that i just put a different motor in it?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 AM

You said a smaller line goes from the TB to the plastic port. The power brake would require at least a 3/8" inside diameter line. Anything smaller would not feed it the required vacuum needed. Is the Throttle Body port opening you are using the same size as the old one?

Is the extra port larger than the one you are using? If it is, try using that one & sees if that solves the problem.