Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

New LSE with some slight issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Default New LSE with some slight issues

Hi! I'm a new owner of an 05 MGM LSE, and I just had some questions about some small problems with the car, and some advice as well. Certain things like the opera lights on the b pillars, lights in the door, and the compass display in the overhead unit don't work. I was wondering if there was any particular reason for these issues, and what I could do about it. Some cosmetic issues as well, since I'm still new to this. I was wondering if there's a good way to get an indent out of my rear bumper, and if there's a good company that can replace the vinyl top with an oem one, as well as where to best find a steering wheel replacement. It's my first car, and I don't really know where to best look for parts or what to really do, so any help would be appreciated!!

Old 09-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Default LSE Issues

I have found the best place to find parts for your Grand Marquis is at an AUTOMOTIVE RECYCLER.
Use the on-line recyclers, unless you live close to a recycler's yard.
Unless you're close to Pittsburg or Philly, skip the local junkyards.
The IMPORTANT thing is NOT the location of the part, but the AVAILABILITY of said part, and the best source is the Recyclers.
For the vinyl top -- check around for Convertible Top Shops and/or Boat Upholstery Shops. I had excellent results from a Boat Shop.
I'm from Pennsy (Philly area) originally, but have been living in Phoenix since '72. Old car stuff is pretty easy to find here, as there is NO RUST to worry about. The 95 MERC is 25 years old, and still completely rust-free.
As a new owner, you'll need to PREVENT problems -- and the very best way to prevent expensive TIRE replacement is to have a COMPUTERIZED alignment that delivers a Print-out of your before-and-after wheel alignment. Accept no substitutes !!
You'll hafta check locally to find a shop to repair your bumper -- OR, if it's not a bad dent, you may wanna try to fix it yourself.
The hardest thing for young fellas to do is to resist the temptation to DEMAND MORE POWER -- and the expense of trying to make your 2-ton cruiser into a tire-smoking, ground-pounding hot rod. Forget it -- it ain't gonna happen.
Avoid those aftermarket "Cold Air Packages" -- definitely NOT cost-effective, and are generally worthless on a street machine.
Skip those expensive aftermarket ignition coils; the Motorcraft coils provide a plenty of voltage under all conditions.
I use and recommend Bosch Double-Iridium spark plugs -- the Bosch # 9606 is the correct part number for your engine.
Get your new parts from RockAuto.com -- best choices, best prices, and best quality -- Amazon sells knock-off plugs -- skip them.
If your car has a SINGLE exhaust, there is 22-24 horsepower available from a DUAL exhaust set-up.
I used Walker exhaust components -- Walker H-Pipe and Walker Tail-Pipes, with 2" MagnaFlow glasspax -- mellow tone, no drumming.
Anyways, good luck with your "new" ride, and lemme know how you make out with your projects.

Walker H-Pipe; MagnaFlow 2" Glasspax ; Walker Tailpipes -- Adds 22-24 Horsepower over stock (single) exhaust.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 09-27-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: content