Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

New Member 87 MGM Start From Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and just begining a project on a 1987 MGM. I bought the car with only 97,000 mi. for $700. He had the list of records of upkeep on the car from its "birth." Also had the full suspension rebuilt to match that of the police model and duel Flowmaster exhaust. The car was wrecked yesterday on the passenger side and I figured that would be a great place to start.... Body and Paint... I am going to continue posting progressive photos of my work and asking for any suggestions along the way. Like I said, I'm new to the whole forum thing so bare with me. Well, Here's what the car looks like at this point. (Only have photos of the wrecked parts, will add pics of the rest of the car by the weekend once i get a chance to detail it.) I've got a friend who paints and I do body work so the insurance adjustors check they cut will be stretched a lot further than most. As it stands right now I am going to paint it a Black base coat, Gloss black, Holographic flake clear coat, then top it off with a baby purple pearl (just for a hint of color in the light.) I should have a set of 24's for it by the weekend (have to do a small lift) unit, kenwood tweeters and crossovers, and infinity 6x9. The subs are only half way done... I have 2x JL Audio 13w1 and a JL 500.1 amp. Want to build a custom box into the wheel well and deck the trunk off for 4x 13' so they'll be in my house for a bit. The stereo system is currently sitting in my living room untill all components are purchased. So far i have an Alpine 9835 heads and 2x JL 500.1.
So farthat is where stand and any advice or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Almost forgot, here is the order in which i plan to work on the car. Body/Paint (just looks so bad right now.) Rims/Lift, Motor work (this is where i'll need the most help), Stereo System, and finally refurb the whole interior.
Thanks for any help and look forward to working with other MGM enthusiasts.
I will have some pics posted within the next few days to give you guys an idea of where i am.....
Thanks again,
JOE

Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 AM

Welcome!

And enjoy. If there is anything stock related you need, we should be adequately equipped.

Pictures are always good, we like pictures.

Greetings!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the support and look forward to working with everyone with project. So there are a few parts i'm in need of a passenger front door (electric), both rear window motor gears (the motors work fine, just no teeth in the gears). Most of all..... A transmission, overdrive is shot [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] and i have no idea nor the tools at this moment to rebuild it. Finally, How hard is it to replace the vinyl top. I have a general know-how on car repairs, however easily learn. For example.. I changed out the heater core in this vehicle, by being told nothing more than "the entire dash has to come off," THAT WAS NO FUN.Edited by: DirtySouthMerc

Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

reason why your trans went out is because the bushing for the transmission pressure wore out. it can be replaced with a brass bushing to prevent it in the future. i own a 1987 Grand Marquis, and 2 1987 Crown Victorias. i know these cars real good and can help with mods for more power if needed. i am in the process of building up one of my Crown Vics to be an HO and run on the dragstrip. my Grand Marquis i have pictures posted of how it looked when i got it to how it looks now. it is still being developed into a screamer.Edited by: 87_Crown_Vic

Old 01-22-2008, 11:54 PM

That was the problem.... Good Call. Allready done that, after trans overheated one good time causing permenant damage.. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] .Would it be better off installing a new rebuilt or repairing the one that i have. (cost and reliability)

Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

get it to a trans shop to have rebuilt. cost will be $800+. ask for a shift kit and to have an "A" servo installed. shift kit will make sure it grbs gears instead of sliding into them wearing the clutches out and the "A" servo holds the OD better. once the TV bushing goes bad, the trans is toast. any questions on your car i will do my best to help

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM

What model transmission does the 87 Merc have? Trying to shop around however want to sound educated on the subject. Is there anything in specific that i need to look for in the shift kit that i need to ask for.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM

What model transmission does this 87 Merc have? I want to sound educated on the subject when asking about it. Is there anything i need to ask for specifically when checking into the additional shift kit. What exactly does the "A" servo do? I know i'm full of unlimited questions. My repair check from the accident i was in this past week is well over what it's going to cost to repair as i will be doing the repairs and a friend will be painting. Where should i start first on the motor. (aside from intake/exhaust) I'm not looking for a ridiculous amount of power however i would like to end up with a solid motor with a deep sound and the power to match. If there is some kind of "best order" let me know. Sorry for the delay on pics. It's been kinda dreary and rainy here and havn't had time to post them yet. I will have them on by the end of the weekend.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

the type of trans. you have is called an AOD(Automatic Over Drive) if you get a cold air intake like i have and have posted, it deepens the sound of the engine. i would also look into getting a set of BBK shorty headers, connected to BBK high flow "H" pipe. the combination of the CAI(Cold Air Intake) and the exhaust will let the engine breathe better. if you do the exhaust, you will need to get Mustang O2 sensors with the long wires. messing with the stuff above is good start for future projects to the engine. for get up and go, and biggest bang for your buck, go with some different rearend gears in the car. 3.55 trac-lok rear gears are probably best for all around. hope some of this helps.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:20 PM

All sounds good. I'm on a starting budget of about $800 for motor work or accs. I already have plans to install the K&N cold air intake and headers. What is a good size pipe for the exhaust to run as i would like to upgrade the stock pipes to a mendral bent pipe? My cats somehow magically have nothing in them [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] , So the O2 Sensor has already been moved to directly below the headers. I figured the gears, asked a few other questions on another post about those. Is a bore-over something that would be near the top or bottom of the list?

Quick Reply: New Member 87 MGM Start From Scratch