Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

New ride, new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Howdy everyone,

I just wanted to drop a line and show off my latest (my third) MGM. It is a ''93 LS, a one owner, garage kept beauty with 82k original miles. I love these cars and found that, after selling my last one (a green flamed 1995 GS on 18" Diablo Wishbones), that I couldn''t do without one. I just added some new wheels and tires and thought it be interesting to other MGM owners to know about the swap.

I installed a set of ''98 Mustang GT rims- 17x10 rear rims with 275/45-17 tires, 17x8 front rims with 245/45-17 tires. They are a direct bolt on! They fit like a glove, the rears are perfectly centered in the wheel well- no clearance problems at all. An added bonus is the fact that the tire diameter is within .4 % of the original tires so the speedometer calibration isn''t thrown out of whack. The fronts, while they bolt on without modifications, are very close to the upper ball joints so I will probably be adding 1/8" spacers soon to provide a little more clearance. It isn''t really necessary but I think I will play it on the safe side. I''m including before and after pix, let me know what ya all think.

I''m dropping the car off tomorrow to get flames on the nose of the car (love ''em!) so I''ll send in a pic when it is done. Future modifications will be: a stereo upgrade (i don''t even own any cassettes anymore), adding some video equipment,tinting the windows, and possibly lowering it a couple of inches. Thanks to everyone for the information on this forum and I''ll see ya again soon (Web-wise anyway).

Old Pimpin''

[img]uploads/OldPimpin/A9B_93_Mercury_Grand_Marquis_002_small.jpg[/img]

[img]uploads/OldPimpin/55B_new_rims_small.jpg[/img]

Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM

Nice vehicle. I see you have the corner lights. Any other options?

Also, I like the round Mercury emblem on the C-pillar. I am currently looking for 4, as the tabs on the covers for my hubcaps are mostly broken off, and I can''t attach them otherwise.

Of course, if you were close to Northern Indiana and still had the original rims, I might be interested.

Greetings!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the input, it is nice to talk to others that share my affection for these cars.

I still have the original rims but I''m on the West coast so it wouldn''t work out on the rims BUT if the hubcaps off my rims will work on your car, we could work out something on them. I''m not going to need them, I''d let them go for cost of shipping plus oh, 10.00 for the set?

Options on the car include: cornering lights, leather wrapped steering wheel, cruise control, dual electric seats with lumbar support and power recliners, grey leather upholstery, dual lighted visor mirrors, rear defroster, illuminated entry system, power locks- doors fuel door and trunk release, luxury light group, and power antenna. Basically it is the "preferred option package 172A" for the LS with a few extra options.

I''ll continue to post updatesas I make more mod.''s

Old Pimpin''

Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM

I see.

Well, the ones who knows whats behind these cars truly appreciate it.

Thanks for the response on the hubcaps. I think you are talking about the center caps? They don''t work on the hubcaps. These have covers which are kind of hollow behind, with 6 little plastic tabs. The ones from the aluminum rims don''t fit. If you sell them on eBay, you should easily get $50 for them. Even then they are a steal, compared to new or other offers you can find there.

I have the original sales brochure in JPG format, in case you are interested.

I have the ''95 cornering lights which I haven''t put on mine yet. It came without them, but the setup is already there.

Greetings!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Oops, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking center caps. Sorry about that. I''ll go out to my garage in the morning and see if I still have the hubcaps off my ''95. If so, you can have the center emblems for the cost of shipping. No guarantees but I''ll check. If you have the 1993 brochure, I''d love to have a copy. All I have been able to locate so far is the ''92 and the ''98 brochures.

I dropped my MGM off this morning atthe painter (fellow car club member) for the flame work, then stopped by in the afternoon to drop off some parts for a different project and got to see mine already partial stripped of front end trim, grill, etc. He is moving fast, I should have it back by the weekend if the paint arrives as planned tomorrow morning! I''m like a kid waiting for Xmas morning.