Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Noise from Air Filter Housing 2000 GM

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Default Noise from Air Filter Housing 2000 GM

A loud humming virbration noise is coming from the air filter housing on my 2000 GM. When I tap or shake the air filter top and housing the noise stops for a moment then retarts. I took the top off and with the motor running, the noise is still present. When I move the flexible hose going to the air filter housing the noise sometimes stops. Any I idea what's happening? I replaced the idle air flow valve last week and all was fine.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Sounds like it maybe the Idle Air Speed Control Valve. A simple repair two small bolts, an electrical connector, and a hose.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Freedom, you're right. I nosed around and found it was the idle air valve. I just replaced the idle air valve last week. Car ran fine.
Bad part from NAPA. They will replace but have to order part. Will be here tomorrow. Meanwhile, I saved the old part. Cleaned gunk out with carb cleaner. I reinstalled old part and the noise is gone and the idle is fine. I know this is only a temp fix and will install new part tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

cleaning the IAC is all that is usually necessary... they get gummed with oil and a good cleaning will make it last another who knows how many miles... done this to many cars and never had to replace the IAC before

Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM

I know about rv rental and crusie america RV but is their anywheres else that rents rv's? I needed temporary rv housingonce and used a motorhome of a friend of mine, it was cramped for a while buy we survived.“While the majority of az temporary housing unit occupants in this program have transitioned to more permanent, long-term housing, there are a few that need a little more time,” said State Coordinating Officer Ben Patterson. “We are confident that this second extension will help the remaining occupants of FEMA-supplied units complete their recovery.”In response to Hurricane Ike, a total of 3,701 az temporary housing (mobile homes and park models) were provided to Texas residents. Currently 149 units remain occupied.“The majority of our remaining occupants are working to rebuild or repair their homes” added FEMA Hurricane Ike Recovery Manager Brad Harris. “Remaining families may continue to live in the units as long as they remain eligible and can show that they are making progress toward their permanent housing.”