Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

the old worn door hinge trick

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 08:53 PM
Angry the old worn door hinge trick

hi mercury grand marquis sages- just joined the mercury forum. sounds like exactly what i want and need . i have a 2001 mercury grand marquis LS with 155k miles on it . it is in very good condition and i try to keep it that way. i do many of my own repairs on it. bought it used in 09 with only 39k miles , original owner had taken very good care of it. anyway need to replace lower left front door hinge. the pins are ok but the detent which holds the door open is shot . have a replacement hinge on order. should be here next week. cost $25. upper hinge is ok. problem is the hinge has two bolts into the door which look easy to take out. other side of hinge has one bolt into the body and a threaded stud which is pressed into the hinge and goes into the body which appears to have a nut holding it. the nut seems to be inside the body and requires you to take out the kick panel to get to it with a ratchet or wrench. how do you get the driver side kick panel off to access that nut.? am i missing something. youtube videos are unclear on this point . appreciate your help. thanks tons bob f

Old 01-02-2022, 08:08 PM
Talking need help and advice on the hinge trick

hi sages- would really appreciate a response on how to get to this nut and remove this lower hinge from someone who has done this job on a mercury marquis. have done this on plymouths and chevrolets and it wasnt this difficult. thanks tons bob f

Old 01-04-2022, 08:36 AM
Default lower hinge conundrum

hi merc sages- looks like im destined to get no answer on this problem. probably missing something obvious. must the door come off? can snap off the scuff panel but does the kick panel then easily pull off(doesnt seem so) to access the nut on the inside of the body? would really appreciate a responder. thanks tons bob f