Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

what is the best engine oil for my 1997 Grand Marquis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Default what is the best engine oil for my 1997 Grand Marquis?

Hi all,

I would like to know the best engine oil for my 1997 Grand Marquis? It is written in the manual that the best oil is 5W 30... I am living in very hot dry weather area...Is it still relevant to use 5 W30 oil keeping in view my model (old) and weather?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 AM

5w 30 is the best, if using a conventional oil use a high quaility name brand, no cheap brands.

But if your asking for THE BEST use full synthetic oil as it will handle high tmps much better and not brake down, also oil changes can be from 10,000 miles instead of the standard 3,000. Synthetic is more expensive but in the long run over all cheaper.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ronnjonn
5w 30 is the best, if using a conventional oil use a high quaility name brand, no cheap brands.

But if your asking for THE BEST use full synthetic oil as it will handle high tmps much better and not brake down, also oil changes can be from 10,000 miles instead of the standard 3,000. Synthetic is more expensive but in the long run over all cheaper.
Thanks a lot for your reply...I have been using 10 W 40 Mobil Oil but now I have read that 5W 30 is better for our car...So I am planning that next time I will put 5W30 oil...I am changing oil every 1500 km...I couldn't understand what you mean by fully synthetic oil?

Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM
Default Best Engine Oil & Filter

Rocky Mountain High -- 12,095'
This is an old request about the "correct" oil for the 1997 Grand Marquis -- now, with new updates.
Factory calls for 5-W-30 viscosity, which is suitable for most climates in the lower 48 states.
In really COLD climates, 5-W-20 should be used during Winter months.
TYPE of Oil : Modern synthetic oils are cheap and plentiful, so there is NO EXCUSE for using conventional engine oils.
I use and recommend 5-W-30, Full Synthetic "SP - ILSAC GF-6A" specification.

"Full Synthetic" does NOT mean that the oil is 100% made from synthetic stocks.
"Full Synthetic" simply means that it's NOT A BLEND of synthetic and conventional oils.

NO NEED for those "Extended Performance" oils or the "Long-Life" oil filters, as the best results are found by changing the
OiI AND Filter at 5,000-mile intervals. No more, no less !!
BRAND of Oil Filter: The BOSCH # 3410 Premium Oil Filter is the correct part number for the FOMOCO 4.6 liter engine.
BRAND of Oil: You will hear every kind of claim, and all sorts of testimonies that tell you to use their oil, citing reams of info
and pages of statistics as "proof". FORGET that crap -- here's why:
There is NO magic formula; NO special color; NO secret ingredient -- it's just synthetic engine oil.
After having tested several brands of synthetic engine oils over several years and more than 300,000 miles with the FOMOCO 4.6-liter,
I have settled on the "ideal" engine oil and filter for the 95 MERC, chosen for price, availability; and performance.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic Oil @ Wal-Mart -- Made with Natural Gas, (Very low pollutants), available almost everywhere.
BOSCH #3410 @ Wal-Mart -- Excellent Filter, available everywhere.
Unfortunately, many old-timers and young guys believe that "thicker is better!" when choosing engine oils, in the mistaken belief that a
higher viscosity is needed to protect engine bearings -- but that ain't true. Period.
Thicker oil takes longer to get to the bearings -- reduces fuel mileage due to windage -- doesn't cool as well.
One other thing: NEVER put "Racing Oil" in a street-driven engine !!

Last edited by 95 MERC; 02-16-2022 at 02:00 PM. Reason: content
Old 07-24-2019, 05:54 AM

You will get more opinions on oil which are meaningless and unproven. There is no "best" oil out there as is often suggested. The only sure way is to get an oil analysis on the old oil. The oil can also be checked for additive content remaining and you could be advised as to when is the best interval for your situation.
Open your owners manual and follow the recommendations as far as weight and select an oil which meets their specs. Many house brands meet Ford specs and will perform just as well. It is not necessary to use synthetic as some suggest.People often get 300K+ miles on their engines by using conventional oil whatever is on sale. Use a synthetic if you put a lot of miles on in a short period of time so you won't have to change oil every month and a half. Synthetics can be ran up to double the miles compared to conventional oil. The secret is changing oil and filter at the correct time.

Filters, stay away from Purolators and every other brand they make for. The media very often ruptures and you can do a search on this subject. If you want the very best in filter effiency and construction, check out the Fram Ultra. I do not have much respect for their other filters but the Ultra is built much much better.

Last edited by raski; 07-24-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:52 PM

The original question --
What is the best engine oil for my 1997 Grand Marquis ?
As you say, "best" is relative, and can mean various things.
You claim that the opinions of others are "meaningless and unproven", and then turn around and give
your own meaningless and unproven opinions regarding oils and oil filters.
The OP asked about a particular car, and I gave him tried and tested info about his particular car, the model that
I have over 300,000 miles of experience with owning and maintaining.
Having motor oil lab-tested doesn't do jack for the guy that wants to know WHAT TO BUY.
Your info was presented in vague generalities, and the OP was left wondering which oil and filter to buy, and why.
I just don't understand your need to second-guess my findings OR my posted replies.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:06 AM

If you read my comment carefully, I never recommended a specific brand of oil (but you did), only the filter.People get hundreds of thousands of miles using conventional oil and you make it sound like the only way to achieve that is by using synthetic. You (95 Merc) suggest "your" brand of oil (which you claim is ideal for a G.M) is laughable. but you have no documentation to prove your recommendation. Only a lot of miles but so many others achieve even more than you by likely using something different.300k miles accrued is much different by highway or stop and go driving. So it is meaningless to me. As far as lab tests go, what else is there?? A sniff test?? Your "tried and tested" info. Where?You do not have a clue what his driving conditions are even like. He wanted to know what weight to use and after reading your personal brand,"ideal"suggestion, I had to put my 2 cents in.
My filter recommendation is based on facts. 99.9% efficiency @20 microns using a standardized test.Sure there are great filters out there but as you suggest this is what is ideal is irrelevent.
All this could have been avoided if you just answered his question, from his post, he wanted to know if he should use 5w-30. That's all.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:00 AM

Actually, I DID read your posts carefully. It's quite necessary in order to make sense of what you say.
To begin with, you said that you "never recommended a specific brand of oil" -- which indicates that you are unable to make such a recommendation based on experience and/or knowledge of the subject -- or even some of those "alternative" facts that we hear about these days. You made NO recommendation of your own, presented NO evidence that supported your bad-mouthing of my Oil recommendations.
You even tried to convince people that conventional oil is equal to synthetic oils in performance/longevity. NOBODY believes that, because it's PROVEN to be untrue.
In your haste to charge my post as "laughable", you failed to grasp a very pertinent fact:
The OP lives in Saudi Arabia -- which is a DESERT climate.
I live in Phoenix, AZ. -- which is a DESERT climate.
I have hundreds of thousands of miles of experience with driving and maintaining vehicles in the severe desert climates, and have a complete understanding of the behaviors of different weights and grades of engine oils under both hot AND cold conditions.
There ain't many sand dunes in Northern Ohio, so your lack of experience in this area is understandable. Your arrogance is not.
About those Oil Filters -
I recommended the BOSCH #3410 for 3 reasons:
1. Price/Performance Ratio -- Lowest cost for a 20-Micron Filter.
2. Availability -- The BOSCH brand is sold at WalMart in Saudi Arabia, and around the world.
3. Features -- Silicone Anti-drainback valve (necessary on the 4.6 liter); Spiral-wound center tube; good Pressure Relief Spring; 20-Micron media; Black color dissipates heat.
These attributes, in combination with many years of observation in a variety of climates found in the 30 U.S. States that the 4.6 engine was driven in.during that time, are the reasons for selecting the BOSCH #3410 as an all-around "best choice" for the OP.
The FRAM Ultra is a fine filter, indeed -- and it MAY be the perfect choice for YOU, based on YOUR criteria -- but not MINE.
1st, There is NO NEED to spend the extra money for a "Long-Life" (15-20 thousand miles) filter, if the planned change interval is 5,000 miles.
I change my Oil AND Filter at 5,000 miles, using products that are of low relative cost and are available almost everywhere. Others are perfectly free to do whatever they wish.
According to you, the FRAM Ultra claims 20 Microns -- The BOSCH #3410 also has a 20-micron media.
Results from those "standardized tests" CAN be very misleading, and usually are -- unless the very SAME test is performed on ALL of the filters in question, and the results for ALL filters in the test are reported in a manner that allows a direct comparison of ALL tested filters.
Such information is, and has been, UNavailable -- which is EXACTLY why motorists must thrash about, seeking the "Holy Grail" of engine oils and filters.
Just think -- all this could have been avoided if you hadn't piped up with your criticism of someone who obviously has much more knowledge of, and experience with, the subject than yourself.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:13 PM

Hello. Yes, I think a 5W30 oil for the 1997 Grand Marquis will do just fine. For myself, I choose oils here, engine oil for 3.5 ecoboost for my trucks. Your oil is still suitable for hot climates. As indicated in the articles of the site. There, by the way, you can still find out information not only about oils but also about additives to them. And you can find out the detailed characteristics of the oil.

Last edited by kaned; 01-10-2022 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:46 PM
Default "BEST" Oil !??

Originally Posted by kaned
I use synthetic, the best for me
YES !! You will find that a "Full Synthetic" oil of the manufacturer's recommended viscosity will perform best under most all circumstances found in the Lower 48.

Note: "FULL SYNTHETIC" means that the oil is NOT A BLEND of synthetic and conventional oils.
The famous 95 MERC runs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 5-W-30; Bosch Premium Oil Filter # 3410; and a FILTERMAG #SS365PR Magnet Kit.
Oil & Filter changes at 5,000 miles.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 01-06-2022 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Content