Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Replacing Fuel Pump on 1993 MGM....?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Default Replacing Fuel Pump on 1993 MGM....?

Do I have to drop the fuel tank to do so or can it be accessed otherwise? If so how?

TIA, Tim

Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

you have to drop the tank... will need a long extension and a deep well 9/16 socket if i remember right... i have had to deal with too many fuel pumps in these tanks... helps if car is raised in the rear on ramps or jackstands. use a jack under the tank to help support it and bring it down. to make it easier you will want to remove the filler neck which you have to unbolt from the filler door area. there is like 3 or 4 small bolts there and might be another accessible thru the fenderwell that acts as a support... you dont have to pull the neck all the way out of the filler door area, but at least out of the way of the tank. after thats out of the way, no smoking around the car and you can undo the tank straps. when tank straps are loose, lower tank down slowly and remove the wiring and hoses that are on side that faces the trunk. once it is down, slide it out from under the car, and drain gas into a clean bucket. i use a thick flat type screw driver and hammer to knock the lock ring loose off the fuel pump area. fuel pump is located on side facing trunk, at least on my older cars and fuel sending unit with float is on front side facing axle.

i havent done a newer style Grand Marquis, but removal should be about same. replace any rubber "O" rings, fuel float, and seals possible while tank is down. no need to remove tank again to do work if you had access to do repairs now. putting the tank back up is a lil more difficult... get the tank back under the car, start reconnecting lines and wires that you can... lift tank back up in place and get one tank strap started to hold in place... the tank straps are the biggest problems putting it back together...

Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Off she goes to the dealer.....

Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

dont be surprised when they try to say more stuff is needed for repairs... if they say other things are needed... let me know and we can answer for ya

Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM

I just swapped out the filter to start, while under the car I noticed that the pump can be changed without tank removal if I can get the rear end to drop enough.

If I do require the pump I will try to do a picture step by step. May not be for a long time as the car is my winter driver and the lowest quote I have on the part so far as me thinking now is not the time to use my summer fun money on the winter driver.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

i think what you are seeing is the area where the fuel sending unit and float is on the tank... fuel pump is opposite that ... fuel pump faces the trunk

Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM

You do not have to remove the tank, don't even start.

But, if your fuel pump needs to be replaced, make sure to check the electric harness. It is common on these cars that it rubs on the frame. Mine had the same issue, suddenly it failed. I had to re-run the harness, and now all is good.

Dealership charged me $175. My local shop told me they would have done it for aroun $100.

Greetings!