Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Spark plug rethreading problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Default Spark plug rethreading problem...

I have a 98 model 4.6L, and the spark plug recently blew out on cylinder 4. I've been told that it's quite a common problem to occur, so I didn't think it was much of an issue. Well... I bought the kit without the socket hole on the top of the tap thinking it wouldn't be an issue - I was wrong. So I decided to go buy one that did, but none of the auto stores in my area had one. My dad was being impatient about it, and had the "grand idea" to weld a ratchet extension to the head. (I fought with him and told him no. That didn't end well). Now the damn head is stuck in there because the weld broke when he was backing the thing out.

I really don't want to take the whole engine apart just to get the thing out, we tried JB weld, but it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Samuel Rose; 02-13-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Samuel Rose
I have a 98 model, and the spark plug recently blew out on cylinder 4. I've been told that it's quite a common problem to occur, so I didn't think it was much of an issue. Well... I bought the kit without the socket hole on the top of the tap thinking it wouldn't be an issue - I was wrong. So I decided to go buy one that did, but none of the auto stores in my area had one. My dad was being impatient about it, and had the "grand idea" to weld a ratchet extension to the head. (I fought with him and told him no. That didn't end well). Now the damn head is stuck in there because the weld broke when he was backing the thing out.

I really don't want to take the whole engine apart just to get the thing out, we tried JB weld, but it didn't work. Any other ideas?
question how big ur engine

Old 02-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jonee LeDoux
question how big ur engine
Oops! Forgot to add that. I edited my post lol. It's a 4.6L