Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Turbo 89

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

i would recommend stepping the gears up to 3.27 or 3.55s. they will give you a much better jump compared to the gearing setup meant more for highway. the intake stuff is bolt on setup. HO stands for High Output like what mustangs have in them. our cars are tuned down due to the crank. where are you located and i can see if anybody i know is close to you that may be able to help you out.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bullet0597
Also, the heater core went out, how hard is it to change that? </>
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Not hard just time consuming. It's pretty straight forward. I'll post my write up on removal of the heater core.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM

</>
Heres what you got to do.

Mark all bolts that you take off, give a discription of where they went.

Mark all wiring connections that you may disconnect as well.

UNDER HOOD:
Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Drain coolant until level is lower than the heater core hoses.

Disconnect heater core hoses. Mark where which one went.

INTERIOR:
Remove the dashpad.

Remove trim around the dash.

Remove kick Panels.
Disconnect Shift Indicator from steering column.
(remove cover behind steering wheel, unbolt the white ring. it may be broken, it might not be. Carfully remove wire from black clip on the shifter.)

(I removed the entire instrument cluster. My speedo cable didn't let the dash come out as far as it could.)

Remove trim panel below steering column (where the fuse box is)

Drop Steering Column
(Find the four bolts on the column bolted to the brace. Socket size 15mm) Before you drop the column, put emergency brake on and chock the wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unbolt bottom of heater core box, two bolts down by the floor. (remove cover if any)

Unbolt the dash support at both sides of the dash.

Unbolt the dash support nut that is located where the steering column usually is.

Unscrew or unbolt the bolts at the top of the dash by the windshield. only the ones right by the dash.

Pull the dash forward and down.

Remove the insulation below the windshield to expose a nut behind it. Unbolt it.

Pull the box with the heater core out towards you and pull it down. Clear the holes in the firewall. Long *** heater pipes.

Unbolt the cover on the top of the box. 4 bolts.
Remove cover

Pull out old heater core. It'll be a little hard to get out but play around with it a bit and it will come out.

Save the rubber thing that's wrapped around the core.

Get your new core.

Clean out the box where the heater core was out with windex after you wipe all the antifreeze in there with a rag or paper towel.

Wrap the rubber thing around the new core.

Put the core back in the box.

Bolt the cover of box back on.

Line up box on the studs.

Bolt box up.

(Check to make sure that there are no connections disconnected [vacuum hoses, wires wiring harnesses etc.])

Get dash into position. (You'll have to get it over the air plenum)

Start a screw on each side of the dash.

Bolt dash into place.

Bolt all dash supports back up.

Connect any disconnected harnesses that you disconnected.

Bolt steering column back up.

Reattach shift indicator cable.

put kick panels and all covers you removed, back on.

put dash pad back on.

Put everything back on that you disconnected
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-17-2008, 06:52 PM

</>
I am located in washington court house, ohio...

Thanks for the heater core thing too, i started tearing down tonight...

Thanks again to all!!!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

i was asking location because there are guys tht can help with the HO upgrade or if you wanna go to a guy that does the work and specializes in it. the guy that does all the work you could need is located in the Tremont, Pennsylvania area.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM

</>
Well, I read up on some thing on the other site, I dont think it would be too hard, im not so good at engine work, but one of my friends had a pontiac sunbird and he built the engine himself, its a 2.0L 4 cylinder pushing 38 pounds of boost and a 250 shot of nos, methanol injection and all sorts of crazy stuff... puts out 500+HP at the wheels now that i saw the latest dyno sheet... he said he would do it for me, i just have to get the parts now... thats where lies the problem.. money, and where to get the parts... anyone have some for sale? if so, prcies please.... thanks again!!!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by bullet0597
&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt;
&lt;/&gt;
Well, I read up on some thing on the other site, I dont think it would be too hard, im not so good at engine work, but one of my friends had a pontiac sunbird and he built the engine himself, its a 2.0L 4 cylinder pushing 38 pounds of boost and a 250 shot of nos, methanol injection and all sorts of crazy stuff... puts out 500+HP at the wheels now that i saw the latest dyno sheet... he said he would do it for me, i just have to get the parts now... thats where lies the problem.. money, and where to get the parts... anyone have some for sale? if so, prcies please.... thanks again!!!!
&lt; =text/&gt;
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
&lt;/&gt;
Parts for an H.O swap?
Junkyard is your best bet. Look for 5.0 mustangs, capris, or certain Mark VIIs. These will have H.O motors. You will want to find a car from 1986-1991. IIRC in 1992 the cars went to mass air flow.
Anyway, these cars should have what you need; An H.O Computer, you'll need that to compliment the H.O cam in the car. Take the upper intake as well. I don't have much info on the H.O swap cause I've never tried to do one. There's probably a crapload of stuff that I forgot. 87_Crown_Vic will fill in the gaps that I've missed since he intends to do an H.O swap on his Tudor later in the year.