Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

window motor

Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 AM

Hi people,

nice forum you have here , I just bought an imported 2003 grandmarquis ultimate edition... I love this car .... after a month of sweet life I recognized that the front passenger window doesn''t work. When you press the button it just doesn''t work.... no motor sound no nothing .... at first I thought it must be the fuse but then again the other windows does work, never the less I went on and changed to fuse but still this didn''t solve it ..... eventually I opened the door and reached for the motor from inside went through all the connections with a 12v detector, everything is working just right and power is available all the way to the motor so I figured out that the motor is broken somehow.

took it to a local repair shop and to my surprise the guy just hammered the motor a couple of times with a spanner and it was back working !!

he couldn''t explain the reason behind the jammed motor though and here I am asking you guys how could this happen, the motor is completely sealed so there is just no way it could have got dust or the grease evaporating and drying out ...... could this happen again with time? and if it does, is there a way to repair it? or would it be another parts shopping tripe waiting to happen ?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 AM

Sometimes the stator and brushes just aren''t making enough contact or too much, which causes friction, bad grounding, even reverse polarity within the motor. A hammer blow to the starter motor is much more common. Well now you know how to fix it if the problem should arise again.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM

yes, I use to rebuild these and starters, alter, etc. the planetary gears were hung up on each other. there is a circuit that shuts it down so the motor does not burn up. when you hit it, this caused it to realign because the enclosure actually alignes it to work. most times this will fix it for good.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:17 AM

Of course you did Jason. Put up a diagram. Stop PM''ing me, I told you I won''t read them. I''ve been a member here for over three years. You have been here for about three months with over 220 replies. Thats about seventy-somthing post a month. Do you stay on this site all day? Get a hobby, learn some respect and stop private messaging me.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:00 PM

you might need to double up on your meds. this is a car forum. Please stop investigating me and stick to the questions.

guys, please just ignore him. the kid will stop soon. lets keep this a mercury forum and not little kid talk about retarded stuff.

let us all know if the problem is fixxed for good with the window.