Mariner Discuss the Mercury Mariner here...

2009 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Got a 2009 Mercury Mariner 2.5L I4 Gasoline engine. It has ~1500 miles on it. The manufacturer recommends to change the oil at 7500 miles. I think this is a BAD idea, especially when breaking in a new engine. I took a quick look under the engine and under the car, but couldn''t locate the filter and drain plug. Just a bunch of plastic covering. Anyone here change their own oil?? What oil is recommended, 5w30, 5w20, 0w30??? I live in a cold climate, it can get as low as 0F. How many quarts??

Old 11-09-2008, 01:46 PM

The oil specs are laid out on page 278 of your owners manual (as downloaded from www.motorcraftservice.com)

Originally Posted by Owners Manual
To protect your engine and engine''''s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle''''s engine.
as for the location of the oil filter and drain plug(s) I can only guess that if you can''''t see them by looking under the vehicle, then you will have to remove the plastic covers (or look for a spot that might be a quick release panel) to gain access to it. If you still have trouble, take it back to the dealership and tell them to show you where they are.

also, on these newer engines, the "break in period" is not as important as it used to be. If you are concerned about it, just keep tabs on the oil color for the first few oil changes. when the oil gets to be a nice dark and dirty color (if you can still see through it, it''s fine) then change the oil (or if you reach the mileage to change it at).Edited by: slymer

Old 11-09-2008, 04:56 PM

@slymer

Thanks for your reply and information. I think I''ll take it to the dealer for its first oil change, mainly because the factory usually torques down their filter to like 1000 ft lbs!! LOL!! As for the break-in period, I rather be safe than sorry in the long run.

There isn''t any tech articles/how-to on the mariner.

Few other questions:

-what is the gap on the spark plugs??
-what fluid does the tranny take?
-what kind of service do you have to do on the differentials (I have a 4x2), does it have gear oil?

Edited by: 09mariner

Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM

tranny fluid should be Mercon (whatever the latest revision is... 4 or 5 I think)

as for the plugs, just ask the guy at the parts shop when you get the plugs, they should know.

Differentials like to have oil... if they leak service them, if they don''t leak, don''t worry. If you plan on doing a lot of towing, then I''d check it at least every 60K miles or so just to make sure the oil isn''t breaking down. This usually is just open the fill plug and dip a finger in the oil. if it''s nasty, service it, if not, don''t worry. If it smells bad when you open the fill plug, service it. it shouldn''t be any real concern unless it''s leaking though. What type of oil though... you''d have to ask the dealer. That''s not one that''s generally posted much. I kinda doubt they still use 90w gear oil any more.