Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Weird Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 PM

Earlier this week I noticed my oil light blinking while I was stopped at a stop light. So I put the car in park and it went off. Then I get home into the garage and I hear what sounds like a lifter ticking. The car sat overnight, then I started it in the morning, and the ticking was gone. It did this off and on through the week. Today I gave it a oil change as it was getting close to the time to change it. Well the ticking went away and the oil light has not come back on. The oil was dark in color but no burnt odor. The only thing I can think of is it was dirty and dropping the oil pressure at low idle. I use high end filters and Quaker State for high mileage with the slick 50 in it. Also the car has a noticeable increase in power. I''m just a little lost on how the oil and filter could get dirt like that in 3000 mile.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 PM

the oil has detergents in it. it is suppose to get dirty. if it is dirty it is doing it''s job.

did you have 5 quarts of used oil left in the car when you drained it? I am just thinking the car was low on oil and when the oil got hot it thinned out and caused the tick noise. I think this because the noise went away and after sitting it stopped also.

keep an eye on the oil level. Most likely you have an oil leak or it is maybe burning oil if you do not see a leak. A good trick to find out if it is leaking is put a piece of carboard under the car when it can sit for a day or two. If there is a bunch of oil, then you have aleak. Keep in mind one drop of oil will make a circle ten times bigger then the drop, so you will have to just use good judgement on the amount of oil you are loosing a day. You probably did not hurt anything.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:46 AM

No leaks. I put all new seals and gaskets on the motor this spring when I replaced it. Been going 5000 miles between oil changes and haven''t lost any oil yet. I did loose some anti-freeze, about a quart somewhere.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM

The cardboard trick really only works for oilpan, drain plug, and maybe filter leaks. Seeing all the oil returns to the pan when then engine is off. Is the light that came on a dummy light for oil pressure or "oil change" light? Just keep a good eye on your oil level(two dips!) and keep an ear out for that ticking. Sounds like you keep up on regular and preventive maintenance well.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:54 PM

sounds likea head gasket leak with the anti freez being lost.

the antifreeze is being mixxed with the oil causing it to thin out and thus the low pressure.

fix the gasket on the head

Old 09-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Around, a week ago my friend had a similar problem. He would put water in the radiator and didn''t see no leaks at all. He were thinking about the head gasket but when you have a head gasket problem the oil looks like a milkshake. So, we when the cheap way which is radiator sealer. We brought the alumunun one that cost 2 bucks and only put in a little bit of it because you don''t want to other do it. I must tell you that those 2 bucks did the job because now he doesn''t have to add any more water/antifreeze. Try the cheap way first before you go crazy spenting money on a head gasket job. I hope this works.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 PM

that does work. make sure you drain out all antifreeze or it will not work to seal it for long. they sell block and headgasket sealer. It is more expensive but it really works great.It works better and lasts longer. The trick is to drain all the antifreex and flush it out with water before adding the sealer.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM

I think I found the anti-freeze leak. When I put the engine in I must have forgot to tighten one of the heater hoses down all the way. I was able to pull it off by hand.