Milan Discuss the newest sedan to the line up, the Mercury Milan...

Front end making bumping noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Default Front end making bumping noise

My milan 06' is making bumping noises when cornering or stopping, does it in both directions(turns). It only seems to do it at lower speeds and not when driving at normal highway speeds. It just started at about 43,000 miles and now has 46,000 on the car. I do have extended waranty and was hoping that the warranty would cover the expense of fixing the car. thanks ron.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM

sounds like the front CV joints may have some cracked bearing cages or scored bearings. yes, the extended warranty will cover it ... MINUS your deductible (check your paperwork for the extended warranty, it should have that info).

I had that problem on a 1993 Taurus wagon and never figured it out until the CV joint broke apart and I was stranded.

it could also be wheel bearings.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Bumping noises? Can you be a little more specific? Like, do you feel it in the steering wheel or brake pedal? How far do you have to turn left or right for it to do it? Is it all the time at lower speeds? I am hesitant to think you need a bearing or constant-velocity joint on such a new vehicle. Let me know.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:09 PM

It is definitely not CV joints. It is the suspension when I'm going slow and turn the front end makes a noise that sounds like bump, bump, almost sounds like a spring creaking, I sprayed all the bushings with silicone and that didnt help, so not sure what is going on.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 PM

Again, can you feel it in the brake pedal or steering wheel? Does it feel like it is coming from one side of the car? Sorry for all the questions but they are needed when e-diagnosing through description. Also, I feel there is a big difference between a bump and a creak. And a couple more ?'s. Is it a constant noise(like every time you're slow turning)or only sometimes? Left or right matter? And is it possible that you just can't hear it at high speeds or that the wheel does not get turned very far on the highway? I'm thinking you may have a bum strut. Maybe even something has come loose. Did you ever call the dealer and see about your warranty coverage? Maybe a free diagnosis. Let me know. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Last edited by conan312; 03-18-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM

See below in stream

Originally Posted by conan312
Again, can you feel it in the brake pedal or steering wheel? NO

Does it feel like it is coming from one side of the car? Boths sides.

Sorry for all the questions but they are needed when e-diagnosing through description. Also, I feel there is a big difference between a bump and a creak. It sounds like something binding and letting go, causing a bumping noise.
And a couple more ?'s. Is it a constant noise(like every time you're slow turning)or only sometimes? Everytime I turn
Left or right matter? NO
And is it possible that you just can't hear it at high speeds or that the wheel does not get turned very far on the highway? No, too loud to miss.
I'm thinking you may have a bum strut. already checked those,probably not.
Maybe even something has come loose.Nope
Did you ever call the dealer and see about your warranty coverage? Yes, it should be covered
Maybe a free diagnosis. Let me know. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 PM

I can't imagine it being control arm bushings this early on in a car's life, but it would explain the cornering and braking issues due to the angle changes in the suspension at the time. also, if the joints in the steering have never been greased, they may just be dry.

check for crushed looking rubber at the points where the wheels connect to the frame/body of the car.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM

If it is as loud as you say then it should be able to be diagnosed visually or with a little elbow grease. The first thing I do in this situation is a trick an old-timer taught me. Gotta get the car on a lift or get the front end a good amount up in the air so you have some room to work. More importantly is to get all the weight off the front suspension so that it is able to hang freely. Then take a pry bar, but I recommend a 2x2 piece of wood of decent length, and start trying to find a loose or worn parts by moving front end and steering components after finding good points of leverage. Do this with the steering wheel locked and unlocked. Hopefully this might help find the culprit as it has for me numerous times. Or you can always still try the dealer. Let us know.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 AM

The wifes '06 Milan had the same problem this week. Sounds exactly like what you described, down to only being at lower speeds and less on highway.

Turned out to be the middle nut that keep the strut attached to the spring assembly, in between the 3 other nuts. Open the hood, you'll see the 4 nuts on either side of the strut towers. Take a socket and ratchet, tighten them up and take it for a test drive. Ours had the nut so loose, that I was turning it by hand.