Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

2000 Creaking, Squeaking, Squawking Front End

Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Question 2000 Creaking, Squeaking, Squawking Front End

Lorij64 posted a question in Oct. '08 that describes my issue to a "T". There was only one reply, with no answer about what's causing the problem.

I have the same issue with a 2000 model that has 94k miles on it. It sounds like everything in the front end needs to be lubed - squeaking and squawking all the time. I agree that it's an embarassment to drive - lots of stares when I go by. It's one of those sounds that affect you like fingernails on a chalkboard. People I've talked to say "yup, it's a typical Ford product with chassis squeaks" but that doesn't explain why!

Can anyone or has anyone answered Lori's question about what is causing this? I need help!

Originally Posted by lorij64
I own a 1997 Merc Mountaineer and over the last couple months the front end has been creaking, front drivers side tire. I was told a year ago I needed new ball joints and the rack and pinion replaced. Not a cheap venture by any means....ugh. I avoid all manholes, potholes, everything as best I can. It just squeeks and creaks over little up and down areas in the road. Makes a crack from time to time...even creaked when I opened my door to get out. Now the steering column makes a noise...like it needs lubricants...and the front end sounds like it needs to be greased. My brother, a car junkee who knows his stuff, could not tell me what it was. I actually drove the creaking machine 7 miles to his house and she was pretty quiet. He then took it out fora spin and could not reproduce the creaking. Even going so far as to rock the front end in his driveway. NOTHING! I then left and about 3 miles from his house it started again.And when I come to a stop, the front end shifts forward because I am stopping and crack, crack, crack! Then the light turns green and more cracks as the frontend moves again because of exceleration. People actually look at my truck because of the noise. And it doesnt matter if the truck is cold or warmed up! Also I got new shocks this past July. I cringe each time I hear it. It''''s AWD, V8 and a gas guzzling hog but she needs to last me another year, at least. Years ago hadfront stabilizerbars (recall)and ball joints replaced. Does anyone have any ideas? I hate driving her like this...sounds like it hurts :-( Edited by: lorij64

Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM

It could be the ball joints, the control arm bushings, the anti-roll bar bushings/ends, tie rod ends, springs (pads degraded), chassis bushings (where the body mounts to the frame). Anywhere that has a joint between something and another. This is especially common because people usually don't grease these fittings. After a while, they start to grind due to lack of grease. The grease should be topped on all the fittings (the one's that have grease fittings that is) every time you change the oil. If it's done properly, they shouldn't need much grease each time and they'll last a lot longer. some of the later models have sealed joints. If this is the case on yours, you'll just have to replace the ones that are bad.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the leads! I've only had the vehicle since late last year, so I don't know the maintenance history. I'll start chasing down these suggestions.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 AM

Change any rubber bushings, end links, etc. you can. Cheap Cheap.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM

one thing to note, the control arm bushings (or anything else that is mounted on the springs) will require spring compressors or at the very least, spring clamps, to replace them. releasing the control arms without compressing the springs will cause potential death due to the massive amount of energy released and having stuff fly every which way.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Default Update

Here's a late update on the end result of this question

I had the ball joints replaced and everything is now quiet.

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Default could be

the last time i heard that noise, i asked a former co-worker (said he was ase cert - liar) and told me it was like breaking in leather. Come to find out it was my ball joints upper lower and both sides and tie rod end.

good luck.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Default Squeeking on 2004

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a broken emergency brake, The emergency brake is on the left rear side but you cannot tell whether the noise is coming from the front or back.