Montego Discuss the Mercury Montego here...

2006 Montego CEL flashing then stops

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:25 AM
Default 2006 Montego CEL flashing then stops

Hi all. New to the forum I have a 2006 Montego premier with 163000 miles on it. About a year ago I removed the intake and cleaned it along with a thorough cleaning or the injectors put in all new plugs and replaced the bad coil packs. That solved my misfire issues and fixed my codes. I have no leaks and up till this last week it ran like brand new. I used to hate these cars but for only putting in $250 into it and it being a reliable daily driver that everything works on id say that ain't bad at all. So I have a stumbling lurching jerking type issue when accelerating or going up hill under load. I got on it getting ton the freeway and it stumbled for co second downshifted and took off until it shifted felt like it slammed into the next gear the cel started flashing and i though good I can go scan it and find out if this is a mis fire or something else. I was on myway home so I eased off of it a bit and the flashing stopped and the light went out. Back to square one. It feels like it did when I had bad coil packs with the shaking in all gears but unlike in the past I have no codes showing up to actually scan. Someone else said it could be the torque converter and to sit in the drive way to see if it will mis fire holding the breaks in drive and pushing the gas. It doesn't seem to skip or jump when I do that so I'm not sure if it's a misfire. What should I check? Will these cars save a historical code on what made it flash? Do these cars have common torque converter issues at this mileage? Thanks