Monterey Discuss the Mercury Monterey here...

Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Ok I have a question and I am new to the forum so I would like to thank any advice you all may have.

My family reciently found out that in June we are relocation to beautiful Hawaii. Problem is we can only move 1 car. We have a 2005 Acura RSX type s with roughly 48K miles and about 7k untill pay off (I bout this car before the suprise of my 2 children) and a 2004 Merc Mountaineer V6 AWD with roughly 85K and is paid off. Now the Obvious answer to the car I should take is the RSX, however my wife is quitting her job to be with me and we will need 2 cars while we live in Hawaii, so we have decided to lease. All-in-all the reality of only 1 car payment while my wife goes back to school and works part time is very appealing. Plus When she is done and had a great job it will be my turn to get my car (2006 M3 ). My question then is it safe?? The car has been maintained by myself and is up to date on oil changes and has had no maint issues other than the belt needing to be replaced. Any suggestions on which one I should take would be greatly appreciated. ThanksEdited by: PAC 10 sucks

Old 02-28-2009, 08:51 PM

If you can... sell the RSX to carmax or some other dealer and pay off the note. take the one that''s paid off. once you''re at your new place, find a car that''s in good shape that you can afford to pay cash for. believe me, owning your car and fixing little things here and there will still average out to be less than a car payment plus full coverage insurance. This is why me and my wife drive old land yachts. of course, I do most of the little repairs myself which also save a lot of money (though it raises the cost of bandages a bit for scrapes and cuts... but that doesn''t bother me).

the general idea is to have as little debt as possible. they can''t repo what already paid off.