Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

2002 front upper ball joint help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:00 PM
Default 2002 front upper ball joint help

Greetings All.
im looking for a little guidance here. The answer seems impossible to find for me.
I have a 2002 mountaineer 4.6 L, I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints in the front. The Upper ball joints I purchased do not have a retainer ring for the bottom side of the control arm. When I got involved in the job last night I realized that the factory joints (Im assuming factory, i bought it used) HAVE retainer rings.
I contacted my supplier and questioned him on it and he told me that the ball joint he sent me is the correct ball joint for the vehicle and to go ahead and press them in, disregarding the old retainer rings.
now I start doing some online research and I’m finding a lot of differing answers.
some sites sell them with the retainers some sites sell them without the retainers. Other sites say that it’s not possible to change the ball joint without changing the entire control arm.
Is there anyone here with personal experience that can tell me which direction I should go?
I appreciate any replies.
Ron

Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 AM
Default Ball Joint Replacement

Originally Posted by Rrizz
Greetings All.
im looking for a little guidance here. The answer seems impossible to find for me.
I have a 2002 mountaineer 4.6 L, I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints in the front. The Upper ball joints I purchased do not have a retainer ring for the bottom side of the control arm. When I got involved in the job last night I realized that the factory joints (Im assuming factory, i bought it used) HAVE retainer rings.
I contacted my supplier and questioned him on it and he told me that the ball joint he sent me is the correct ball joint for the vehicle and to go ahead and press them in, disregarding the old retainer rings.
now I start doing some online research and I’m finding a lot of differing answers.
some sites sell them with the retainers some sites sell them without the retainers. Other sites say that it’s not possible to change the ball joint without changing the entire control arm.
Is there anyone here with personal experience that can tell me which direction I should go?
I appreciate any replies.
Ron
Go to RockAuto.com , Catalog, find your vehicle, find the "Ball Joints" -- and there is at least a dozen different choices of ball joints, with PICTURES of each brand and type. There, you can match your old part to those available.
I've done a complete Front Suspension restoration on The 95 MERC, including new upper & lower Ball Joints, urethane Control Arm Bushings, Springs, Shocks, and Sway Bar on a Grand Marquis. The ball joints from RockAuto.com were easy to install, and their prices and selection are hard to beat.
Good Luck !!

Custom Dual Exhaust Exits; Superior Tips

Old 11-20-2020, 08:18 AM

Rock Auto is where I bought the ball joints......
with no retaining rings.
they do not list an upper ball joint for my 2002
that has the ring

Old 11-20-2020, 10:04 AM
Default Mountaineer Upper Ball Joint

Look again, my friend --
Scroll down to "Heavy Duty" = MEVOTECH TXK 80008
4 Pictures show Upper Ball Joint, complete with new snap ring and mounting hardware.
Mevotech makes good stuff.

95 MERC Engine Bay

Old 11-20-2020, 10:16 AM

Ahhh.. now I see. Curious why they have 2 different joints for the same vehicle?
any ideas?

Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Default 2002 Mountaineer Ball Joints

In my experience, they make different quality grades for many parts -- I ALL-WAYS go for the top-quality offerings, which is often better than original equipment.
Example: 95 MERC upper ball joints from the factory have no grease fittings -- I installed MOOG Greaseable ball joints, tie-rod ends, sway-bar links, and idler arm. 17 grease fittings, total. I use LUCAS X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease -- Pix will tell ya why.

LUCAS X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease. Doesn't wash out !!

LUCAS X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease. Doesn't freeze out !!

Old 07-31-2021, 07:48 AM
Default Ball joints for 2000 marquis

What name parts did you use? And did the fit good if they are after market?

Old 08-01-2021, 05:31 AM
Default Get The GOOD Stuff !!

For both Upper and Lower Balll Joints, it ALL-WAYS pays to use top-quality parts -- for safety, reliability, and performance.
Buying the cheapest part available is just foolish -- and there's NEVER a good excuse for doing stupid stuff !
In the case of the 2002 Mountaineer, the smart choice would be Ball Joints from MEVOTECH or MOOG, which come with all hardware (snap ring, grease fitting, nut, and cotter pin) necessary to do the job PROPERLY.

'95 MERC at Flaming Gorge, Utah.