Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

97 Mountaineer Tail Lights

Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Default 97 Mountaineer Tail Lights

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this issue. I took it to a mechanic and when I got it there the lights were working fine. I have it back for a couple weeks and it happens again.

My 97 Mountaineer's tail, dash, and plate lights don't work. When turning on the lights, the headlights come on. That tells me the switch is working. The headlights also come on just fine with auto lamp. I would understand it being a switch issue if one of the other wasn't working, but they both turn on the head lamps.

I checked the 20 amp fuse in the engine compartment and it functions properly. I remove it and the head lamps do not come one. I checked all the fuses in the passenger compartment and they are all just fine as well. I can't imagine this being a wiring issue from the front to the back, because the dash lights don't work.

It makes me think it is a relay in the engine compartment, but I don't know which one would control the dash, tail, and plate lamps different from the head lamps. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 AM

The purpose of this operation is to install the distributor such that it is engaged to the camshaft.