Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Front end creaking and cracking

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:04 PM

I own a 1997 Merc Mountaineer and over the last couple months the front end has been creaking, front drivers side tire. I was told a year ago I needed new ball joints and the rack and pinion replaced. Not a cheap venture by any means....ugh. I avoid all manholes, potholes, everything as best I can. It just squeeks and creaks over little up and down areas in the road. Makes a crack from time to time...even creaked when I opened my door to get out. Now the steering column makes a noise...like it needs lubricants...and the front end sounds like it needs to be greased. My brother, a car junkee who knows his stuff, could not tell me what it was. I actually drove the creaking machine 7 miles to his house and she was pretty quiet. He then took it out fora spin and could not reproduce the creaking. Even going so far as to rock the front end in his driveway. NOTHING! I then left and about 3 miles from his house it started again.And when I come to a stop, the front end shifts forward because I am stopping and crack, crack, crack! Then the light turns green and more cracks as the frontend moves again because of exceleration. People actually look at my truck because of the noise. And it doesnt matter if the truck is cold or warmed up! Also I got new shocks this past July. I cringe each time I hear it. It''''s AWD, V8 and a gas guzzling hog but she needs to last me another year, at least. Years ago hadfront stabilizerbars (recall)and ball joints replaced. Does anyone have any ideas? I hate driving her like this...sounds like it hurts :-( Edited by: lorij64

Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 AM

How many years ago was the ball joint replacement? Do you recall how many were replaced? What kind of noise is the steering making?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Had the ball joints replaced in mid 2002. The steering wheel almost sounds like a groan but only when turning the wheel. Going straight produces no sounds. Kind of like an old creaking tire that''s been sitting and now is being turned.