Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 AM

I have just encountered a problem with my 2003 Mountaineer (2wd). When I turn to the right at low speeds I get a horrible grinding sound. I replaced the front brakes about a month ago. So I don''t think that is the problem. I also had my ABS light come on about 2 months ago. Any advice would be awesome.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 PM

if the ABS is malfunctioning, there could be an issue in the hub of one of the front wheels. or the plastic wheel well has come loose somewhere and is rubbing on the tire when you turn. a couple of trim clips should fix that. I would want to find out why the ABS light is on so that I wouldn''t have issues with brake failures.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
if the ABS is malfunctioning, there could be an issue in the hub of one of the front wheels. or the plastic wheel well has come loose somewhere and is rubbing on the tire when you turn. a couple of trim clips should fix that. I would want to find out why the ABS light is on so that I wouldn''''t have issues with brake failures.

Yah this sounds almost like the bearing or someting like that.....I have an 88 Bronco that had a rear bearing go out on it...and it sounded kinda like this....I am going to try and pull the wheels this evening....and see if I can find anything out....will the ABS light code if I hook it up to a computer....?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM

since it''s an OBD-II (later than 1996) it may have codes for the ABS. if you have a code reader, check it. if not, let autozone (or local parts place) check it, they usually do that for free. Then we can diagnose that one too.

now that I think about it, it does sound like a front wheel bearing issue. since it only does it at extremes, it''s probably the bearing cage giving out or a bearing with a flat spot. I''m kinda surprised that an 03 would wear out that fast. How many miles does it have on it?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:08 PM

I found the problem this evening. it is the balancer (I guess that is what it is called) on the slip yoke..it broke off the yoke and was catching and spinning on the tail shaft of the tranny...and it would catch on the yoke and spin off and grind around on the tail shaft...I am going to the Ford house tomorrow to get a slip yoke.....thanks for the help...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM

eww... that''s not right. hope it doesn''t set you back too much.