Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Modding The Mountaineer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jtsmith

Originally Posted by Jester
Originally Posted by chrisbutts
The best modification to improve gas mileage is to drive less ortrade it in on a Fusion like I did.
Anyways, back to modding - anyone tried that CAI kit yet? I may try that over the winter to see what happens...geezus JT, that's a long list of mods! What does that thing run? [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

I still get over 20 mpg if I baby it

Haven't run an honest quarter mile yet.I did use one of those g-tech things from a friend-did 13.9 with Throttle opening at 3.6 volts out of 4.75. , so about 4/5 throttle? AWD so no hook up problem at all.

If anybody needs help, just ask.

As far as an intake, you may just enjoy the sound so much you eat more fuel. They will help in both ways, for economy you just have to be disciplined and really baby the skinny pedal. Try to keep the rpms below 3000 at all costs.

Remove the roof rack cross bars ( seems silly, but worth 1-2 mpg)

Keep tires inflated to maximum air pressure.

Use amsoil fluids everywhere.

See my garage here

http://forums.explorerx.com/index.ph...ge&CODE=12 &CID=4

also

this guy has achieved 30+ mpg ( by his claims) in his 2nd gen explorer 6cyl--4 year old thread-study still in progress

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44372
Interesting, so I can leave the vertical rails on, but take the horizontal crossbars out? Which CAI did you end up using? I came from a 2000 and 2003 GTP that was modded to go high 13's in the quarter, with a ported blower and other goodies, so you could hear that thing coming from a LONG way aways [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2006, 05:02 PM

As for my intake, if you look at the pictures, my air filter is bolted to the pro-m maf sensor ( no sleeve and clamp) then it is just a tube which I made myself. I need to update the pics, as I have a new tube made of plastic, which is also a larger diameter. On my current setup, it is just a 13" straight piece of pipe, lol

However, if you look around on ebay for "intercooler tubing" you will find all the tubing and clamps, even the rubber tubing couplers, some with angles, everything you need. Then search for a Maf adapter, which is the plate to bolt the maf sensor to with a sleeve for an air filter toslide onto. You can buld your own for less money. Heck, for that matter, once you have the rubber couplers and good t clamps, you can find abs sewar pipe, or even woodworking shop dust collection elbows are made of black abs. Or have some 4" exhaust tubing bent at a shop, use the angles you need. Look around at home improvement-woodworking-plumbing stores and use your imagination!

The air filter is really where it's at.Edited by: jtsmith

Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by jtsmith

As for my intake, if you look at the pictures, my air filter is bolted to the pro-m maf sensor ( no sleeve and clamp) then it is just a tube which I made myself. I need to update the pics, as I have a new tube made of plastic, which is also a larger diameter. On my current setup, it is just a 13" straight piece of pipe, lol

However, if you look around on ebay for "intercooler tubing" you will find all the tubing and clamps, even the rubber tubing couplers, some with angles, everything you need. Then search for a Maf adapter, which is the plate to bolt the maf sensor to with a sleeve for an air filter toslide onto. You can buld your own for less money. Heck, for that matter, once you have the rubber couplers and good t clamps, you can find abs sewar pipe, or even woodworking shop dust collection elbows are made of black abs. Or have some 4" exhaust tubing bent at a shop, use the angles you need. Look around at home improvement-woodworking-plumbing stores and use your imagination!

The air filter is really where it's at.
Cool man...I come from a forced induction world, so I'll have to check more into intakes - also, going back to the crossbars on top of the Mountaineer - did you mean just the 2 that cross horizontally between the 2 main ones that go straight back?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 PM

Yes Jester, those exactly.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:01 PM

Right Now I Have An 03' Mercury Mountaineer Silver. I'm Getting Rid Of That Soon. I Didn't Do Any Modz To It. I Like The New Mountaineer. So I'm Going To Get One Of Those In Black. I Was Thinking About Putting Tints On The Front Windows Since The Back One's Come Already Done. I'm Going To Put In The New Mountaineer:
-Sound System
-Intake
-Inside Glow
-Rims
-And I'm Thinkin About Outside Glow.. For Underneath The Car.. Not Really Sure About That Yet Though.
</span>

Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM

I keep forgetting to post here[img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]
Well, I took the rails off and the MPG went up to 20.1 from 19.4, but
now it's about back to where it was before, which is odd, unless it has
something to do with the weather getting warmer *shrug* So that was a
wash...

Anyone done anything to their Mountaineers lately?

Old 05-21-2007, 05:51 PM

hi all.my family has a mountaineer and i myself owna properly quick mazdaspeed protege. i was just wondering if anyone here has bought/custom built an exhaust system for a mountaineer? ive done a little research but washoping i could hear some first hand accounts.not much out there in the way of intakes, custom is probably the way to go.