Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

performance chip??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Default performance chip??????

hey!

I was checking out jet performance chips and they seemed pretty awesome. increased horsepwer, better gas mileage, more torgue etc...
My question is, is jet a good brand? Does adding a chip make that big of a difference or is it a waste of cash? thanks guys!
Karl!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Chips usually don't help much unless you open up the intake (higher flow filter or cold air intake) or open up the exhaust (larger pipes, single to dual conversion). Then the chips help to take advantage of the mods. Most later model cars are pretty close to getting the best economy already for pure stock setups. There are things like Tweecer that can help those who like to tweak the settings themselves. I'm debating doing this to my car to try to eek out more mileage with the option for pure power or towing (it has 4 custom settings and a stock setting as a fail safe). As for Jet, I've heard good things about them. Superchips is also good. The times I've head bad things about them was usually from those who wouldn't invest in opening up the airways on the car to allow the chips to do anything more than stock. Unless your vehicle is a turbo or supercharged from stock, you're probably not going to get much of anything more out of a stock setup. Maybe 5% tops, but you won't feel that and you probably won't get more than half to 3 quarters of a mile to the gallon better without opening the airways. You will almost always get more out of opening the airways than you will with performance chips initially. After opening things up though, the chips can really help take advantage of the additional airflow.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM

ive started that process i have the exhaust done i just need to get an intake and chip... hopefully that will be coming soon..

Old 05-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Default Buffing and Polishing 2001 Mercury

I've recently acquired a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. I would like to know if I can use 3M Rubbing Compound on the body and, if so, can I use a power buffer to apply it. The Rubbing Compound (polish) is called "Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound."

Or, will this ruin the paint job?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 PM

I just got a performance chip for my cougar from a company called powertune. I was not expecting much when I bought it and it's just ok, no crazy increase in HP but it does give it more pep. If you want a little more kick then I'd recommend it but don't expect to gain a ton of hp. The company also put together reviews on their site from customers. Some just talking about it and some doing 0-60 tests with and without it. powertune engine tuning module performance chip review

Old 10-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Default Cheap Chips

Those 70-80-dollar so-called "chips" are absolutely worthless !! The ads promise all sorts of "performance boosts",
and they even publish glowing "reviews" to convince us to buy the so-called "chip".
I read the "reviews" at the "POWERTUNE" website -- and had already read a few other "chip" reports and reviews when researching the products for my own use.
I bought and installed a "performance chip" -- based on ads and "reports" given by the manufacturer -- and the "reviews" given by assorted customers.
Here is the deal:
My 95 MERC's suspension has been modified to allow for long-distance, high-speed touring of the Western U.S.A.'s high country and low deserts.
I keep a Fuel Log -- recording gallons of fuel used to 2 decimal places (00.00).
After installing the "performance chip", I drove for 2,000 miles with the "chip" installed -- and an ACTRON CP-9145 OBDII Scanner hooked up and running.
The 2,000-mile test revealed that the "chip" was completely worthless -- with NO GAINS in acceleration or fuel mileage.
I was VERY disappointed -- (pissed, too !) -- so I took the "chip" off and opened it up to see just what it was that promised so much, but delivered NOTHING.
SURPRISE !! -- There is NO "CHIP" inside the housing !!.
What IS inside the housing is a common RESISTOR -- and all it does is confuse the Engine Management System into "thinking" that the inlet air is colder than it actually is, thereby adding fuel to richen the mixture and (theoretically) provide more power.
It's a scam, dude !!
What actually happens --
The "chip" adds more fuel because it "thinks" that the air is cold -- the "extra" fuel goes into the motor -- but the OXYGEN SENSORS in the computer-controlled fuel management system see the extra fuel, and lean out the mixture as the system automatically returns to the 14.7:1 correct fuel-air ratio.
I got my money back !!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:23 AM
Old 02-17-2021, 08:11 AM
Default Want Chips !?? Get Fritos !!

Thanks for bringing more info about those "Tuner Chip" scams -- Honest folks are being scammed every day, and these "chips" are a major source of thievery.
Next on the list of popular items that cost a lot but deliver almost nothing are the ubiquitous "Cold Air Intake" packages that deliver more of a placebo effect than any performance improvements, especially since the fuel/air ratios of modern engines are computer-controlled, and Inlet Air Temperature is a factor in the equation.
Early Panthers had a serious restriction in the Inlet Air Passage, which was a SILENCER in the form of a "snorkle" that had only a 1.75 -inch opening.
Removal of the "snorkle" and adding a piece of dryer hose in place of the "snorkle" contributes greatly to the air flow, but any performance increase is too small to measure.
I experienced no decrease in strip times or increase in fuel mileage after removing the "snorkle" -- because of the remaing restriction of the MAF Sensor, which restricts the air flow of even the "best" of the Cold Air Packages.

Snorkel Removed -- Cold Air Ducted From Forward of Engine Bay. Cheapest C.A.I. Available, and it WORKS !

Old 03-01-2021, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by KWuckert
hey!

I was checking out jet performance chips and they seemed pretty awesome. increased horsepwer, better gas mileage, more torgue etc...
My question is, is jet a good brand? Does adding a chip make that big of a difference or is it a waste of cash? thanks guys!
Karl!
NIt worth it..I got one couldn't tell difference...I'll sell u mine..50$ you can decide.