Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Trailer wiring 02 Mountaineer

Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Unhappy Trailer wiring 02 Mountaineer

Hello Murcury Fans. i am the new proud owner of a 2002 Mountaineer v8 AWD.. i want to use it to pull my 5x8 trailer. None of the auto parts suppliers in my area had the proper wiring plug ( module) that connects to the vehicle behind the right tail light. it looks like a rectangular plug with a roundish housing containing like 10 small connections. i got frustrated and decided to cut it and hard wire my harness. there is the usual green to green, yellow to yellow, white to white,..then the brown from my trailer...my only choices are orange and blue..plus 2 smaller guage wires with stripes.. i thought the orange brown wire combo would do the trick but no....HELP!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM

since you've already cut the wires, there's no use in getting the proper adapter (or something similar from some other site).

as for the wiring... check here for some images showing the 8-pin round connector. Not sure if it's exactly the same (the colors aren't) but it should give you an idea if you still have the part you cut off. A test light or volt meter would work well for telling you what wire is what as well.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Default Help

I was just hoping someone out there could tell me which wire from the Mountaineer i should connect to the brown wire from the trailer.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 PM

so go look at the second link I posted. It shows the wires associated with the plug. match the plug locations to the one from yours and you should have the color wire to attach to. The brown should be for the parking lights. You can always turn on the parking lights and see if you have voltage on one of the wires and connect to that one. That would be the easy way with what you've already done.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Default passenger side

hello,..and thank you for the help on this. the only harness i could find was behind the passenger side and it doesn't look like the one you posted. Mine is wrectangilar with a roundish housing.I malso think it is greater than an 8 pin... i was able to get the parking lights on the trailer to work with the green yellow and white connected...but no brake or blinker lights...rc

Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 PM

I can't seem to find anything on that specific harness. You'll have to do the test light trick on the leads by using the blinkers. Turn the blinker on and find the line that's got 12V turning on and off and that's the light for that side. I know it's a bit of a pain in the neck, but since you cut the factory harness off, you'll have to do it that way. just make absolutely sure to wrap up the other wires so there are no shorts.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM

oh yeah... if you still want to use the factory harness (and still have it) you can wire it back up and buy one of the adapters like the curt manufacturing 55344. SummitRacing.com sells this part.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Default the saga continues

I am still in the process of getting my trailer lights to function with the recently purchased Mountaineer..i realized after some checking that the plug on my trailer was faulty and reapired it. So i then assumed all would be well when attempting to connect to the MM...as i stated in an earier post i hastily decided to cut the plug located in the passenger tail light compartment because the original was water damaged and i could not find one locally. When i attach the white ground, the yellow blinker/brake and green blinker /brake...the lights function correctly..but when i attach the 4th wire...brown..(running-marker lights)..which i am connecting to an orangish colored wire on the MM..the running lights function but the brake/blinker cease to work at all...i have seemingly tried all combos. The MM has these colors..White, green, yellow,orange,blue, and 2 smaller guage wires...brown with white stripe and brown with green stripe..the original connecter was an 8 pin. One of the pins is un used. if anyone knows how to wire this please reply...thanks
rc

Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM

finally found the wire diagram for the connector (c407) that's in the right rear of that truck.
click here