New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Cornering Lights - 1966 Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I have recently acquired a 1966 Mercury Montclair that was partially restored by the previous owner. The car is all original with 428, bench seat, column shift. One of the options that came with the car (and was also available as an option with the Park Lane, Monterey, and S-55) was the Cornering Lights.

My understanding is that these lights are intented to come on and stay on when the turn signal is activated. The light is actuated by the turn signal, but the Cornering Light does not flash like the turn signal does. Some that I have spoken with suggest that the Cornering Light is only intended to come on when the low beams are on. Others have suggested that the function of the Cornering Light had nothing to do with the headlights.

I am interested in any information that can assist in getting these lights hooked up correctly. I have been unable to locate a wiring diagram for the car. Installed near the Cornering Lights is a Cornering Relay. This is a 3 prong relay that groundswhere it is mounted. One of the wires that goes to this relay provides a constant 12 volts when the key is on or in aux. The other two wires are just hanging there waiting to find a home.

I appreciate any assistance that can be offered. Thanks, Jason

Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM

We can see that. A little introduction never hurts. Specific questions should be posted in the corresponding forum, in this case either the Grand Marquis or the General Tech help. This is where people look for advise.

First of all, like with many things, there are 2 different referrals. The orange side marker lights, especially when mounted in a "corner" area, like the front part of the fender or bumper, are oftencalled corner lights.

However, the corner lights as occasionally offered as an option, are supposed to illuminate to give you better visibility when turning. They were introduced in the old days, you're guessing right, for possible pedestrians.

They only come on if the headlights are turned on. I don't know if they come one with the parking lights on only, don't have any (yet), but am in the middle of converting.

The cornering lights are white, and not suppose to flash like the turn signal. That would be like driving with the headlights on, and they would go on and off all the times.

Finding a specific wiring diagram for a '66 model is hard, and most likely you wont find it for free, unless you are looking at a specific "oldie" forum.

However, the corner lights are being activated by the impulse from the turn lever. This is not the wiring going to the flashers, as they come of the relays for the turn signal, which makes them go on and off.

Instead, you have to hook up before the wire from your turn signal lever goes into the relays.

If you have the wires available already, get a test light ($3 or so) and check the wires. You should be able to easily find out which one carries steady positive one you turn on your turn signal (make sure your headlights are on).

A separate relays is needed to provide enough current to the corner lights, as they draw quite some power.

The wire which carries a constant ground is your main power from the battery, and available at the relays. However, the power wont flow through the relays till it is activated. And this is happening by the impulse when you turn on your signal lever.

The 2 wires you described, "waiting to find a home", seem to go to your corner lights. One for the left, one for the right. The corner lights get their ground locally, not from the relays.

Greetings!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:10 PM

Thank you for your detailed reply. This is very helpful. I will be spending some time on the weekend working on this with the hopes of solving the mystery once and for all. The car is in mint condition with the exception of a few small items like this one issue I am working. After that, there are several more small items and the car will then be complete, and 100% bone stock original.

I was able today to also get my hands on a wiring diagram for the cornering light circut for a 1985 Lincoln which appears to be very similar as well.

Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:35 AM

You're welcome.

As I stated before, I'm in the middle adding corner lights to mine, so I reviewed the wiring diagram on a '92. Which also made me aware of that it's not a GM you're driving. Ups, sorry.

It actually pretty simple. The main harness going to the front marker lights has a Y-shaped split before it runs into the fender. The harness for the corner lights has 2 wires in it, one for positive and one for ground.

I have to check with the junkyard this weekend to look at one of the harnesses in real. Mainly to see if I can swap them without splicing.

Anyway, this might help:

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/mercury.php

Greetings!

BTW: Apology again for mixing up this classic with an ordinary GM, awesome car!

[img]uploads/92Mercury/Montclair.JPG[/img]Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Here's the diagrams for a 67, should be close enough

1967-mercury-exterior-lights-turn-signals-horns.jpg

1967-mercury-exterior-lights-turn-signals-horns-2.jpg

check out my site for more info on 60's Mercury's

www.mercurystuff.com

-James