Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2000 Sable AC - only blows hot air

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:14 PM

The A/C in my 2000 LS only blows hot air (I have the automatic temperature control). According to my father, this problem occured once before and a Goodyear mechanic said a flap was refusing to switch back and forth to regulate the amount of heat directed to teh vents. He opened the flap but apparently it has stuck againand now only permits hot air to blow in. Is this possible and am I looking at a major repair bill (someone said the dashboard might have to be removed). Who wants hot air - I live in southern Florida. Thanks to anyone who can help.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 PM

I had the same problem with my 2001 sable and the fix was just taking the neg. cable off of the battery and replacing it after a few min. and the blend door started working properly. It is worth a try, if that is not the fix then the blend door motoris most likely your problem.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 PM

I just experienced this same problem with my 2000 LS. I checked the compressor and all parts were working correctly. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it. No help. I then ran the EATC self test and got codes 051 and 025 and wrote them down. I then erased the codes from the EATC and went to turn the car off to come inside and check what the codes meant. Before I turned the car off, what do you know, the A/C started blowing cold again.

Now I don't know what happened, but the cold air is blowing again. I doubt that clearing the codes did this, but it somehow was fixed. At least for now anyway.

And living in Las Vegas, A/C is a muuuuuuuuuuust.Edited by: Wooster

Old 09-02-2007, 07:00 AM

Hello,Have a similar problem w/ my 98 3.0 LS.

Started blowing hot air, but here s the problem.I cannot even find the blend door nor can i find the ports where you connect the guages to the low side[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img], I do not have a repair book ( as of yet) and thought just to ask. Can any one help, I am thinking of trying the battery cable removal and put back on.

any help would be appricated.

Thank you.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 PM

Well, actually, clearing the codes might have done the trick.

I haven't found the specific part in the manual yet, but it states that once certain error codes are present, the electric clutch which engages the compressor, will not, well, engage. This is supposedly a safety measure to prevent damage to the engine (probably overheating).

This is similar to the transmission on certain Ford models. If a specific error code is present, it wont shift into overdrive.

It could be worse: On the Dodge Caravans the electronic controls the a/c and the transmission. So any issues with either component will keep you guessing what's wrong. I used to have one, man, what a pain. But I got the reset code and it was fine afterward.

Regardless, depending on the code, there could be a major issue which should be investigated.

Greetings!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Wooster or 92Mercury -
Can you explain how to reset the codes?

Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM

Can someone explain how to clear or erase the codes?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 PM

Go by an Auto Zone and they will reset them for you for zilch