Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

2001 sable air conditioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Default 2001 sable air conditioning problem

ok so my son took his 2001 sable to a "mechanic" in Jackson NJ and he replaced a egr valve assembly,new oem hardware fasteners,egr vacuum switch,egr valve dpfe sensor assy.he also had the compressor and a accumulator /dryer asmy and the air worked briefly.he had a air for a little while and had to go back and get it charged.that was august of last year.
didnt work this year and brought it back and the guy is telling him he needs a evacuator.it is all still under warranty. does this sound right? is he getting ripped off? if he has a leak in the system shouldnt it be covered? what else is there to the system.
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. john

Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 PM

I think you mean evaporator. That's a big job. You have to remove the dash assy. Ask the guy who checked it out how does he know for sure or get a second opinion. The condenser would probably be more likely to fail or it could be one of the schraeder valves leaking. Look for wet spots on the condenser and around all the fittings. Take it to someone you trust, or a dealer...I'm pretty sure there would be no warranty coverage unless it was the compressor or accumulator that he replaced. Maybe a parts warranty but you would definately be responsible for labor...

Last edited by perrotto; 06-19-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM

I am having a problem with the AC in my 01 as well. Did You find the problem?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM

I have a 03 Sable and been having A/C trouble myself. Google: Remote Climate Control (RCC) Module Self Test on a 2001 Mecury Sable. Follow the procedure, and it will give you info or codes that may be the cause of your problem. My friend will take me to a mechanic who specializes in auto electrical system, since i am having other electrical issues. Find a trustworthy mechanic who has a vast experience and expertise in your cars electrical system. Cars nowadays are dependent on computer and electrical relays, and i believe that my car's problems are mostly related to this. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:22 AM

thanks for the input but as per the receipt,he scanned for trouble codes replaced gas recirculating valve and dpfe sensor adjusted to factory specs.then 10 days later installed new compressor/clutch,accumulator and filter and again adjusted to factory specs. i have been adding 134A and it last's maybe 3 weeks so im thinking a leek somewhere but need to get it to a reputable repair shop.what also kills me is that he had the dash removed to do some of this work why wouldnt he check the evaporator then?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks For the info, I will check it out. Since I posted this I did a little digging. I removed the Blend door acctuator and took it apart. The motor works as I removed it and tested with 12v power, but I think the issue is with the controller? I will dig further and report back.

Nailz717 was the condenser replaced in your car? Three weeks is a large leak, I had a 00' Focus that had a leak at the compressor shaft seal and would laek down in three weeks, but you have a new compressor so that is probably not it. I would soak all joints and condenser with soap/leak solution, and I bet you find it. If there were a leak in the evaporator it should have been evident when he replaced the compressor and accumulator. dont be stingy on the soap and you should find it, unless it is the evaporator then you will need an electronic leak detector and stick it in one of the ac vents.