Tracer Discuss the Mercury Tracer here...

Disconnecting Speedometer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:29 PM

I own a 1993 Mercury Tracer. I am attempting to replace a burnt out bulb that lights part of the instrument cluster. I've used a manual and have been successful as disassembling a portion of the dash, except I ran into a snag. I cannot disconnect the speedometer cable, which will allow me to pull the cluster away from the dash...I can't figure out (since I'm doing it by feel and not sight) what kind of connection it is to know what to do (i.e. squeeze, pull, push, turn) to disconnect it. Can anyone help?...or should I disconnect it from the engine side?

Old 03-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Some you just squeeze and pull. Mine had a plastic clip that you just pushed down and pulled the cable out, it sempt very difficult until I pushed in the correct direction and it came apart very easily. good luck

Old 05-07-2005, 11:29 AM

I just did this on my 93 tracer. All you have to do is squeeze the sleeve where it enters the cluster. Mine came apart really easy. I assume you disconnected the wiring from the back. That makes it a little easier to get you hand back behind the instrument cluster.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by dfreise
I just did this on my 93 tracer. All you have to do is squeeze the sleeve where it enters the cluster. Mine came apart really easy. I assume you disconnected the wiring from the back. That makes it a little easier to get you hand back behind the instrument cluster.

Unfortunately, I gave up trying to squeeze the sleeve (and yes, I did disconnect the wiring)...I guess I have weak hands [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

I appreciate your input. I ended up putting it back together and am living with it as the Tracer is 12 years old, 173K miles on it, and I don't expect it to last more than another year if that.

Thanks again,