Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

99 sable battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 03:16 PM

I've got a 99 sable 3.0 L that will drain the battery occasionally (like overnight) when you go to start it the wipers will cycle (even though the switch for them is not on) I have tried pulling fuses when I can catch it doing it but have not been able to narrow it down. I ran across some reference to a problem with a "multifunction switch" on the steering column. any help appreciated

Old 08-13-2005, 01:23 AM

See my post "it thinks the key is in the ignition". You might check to see if there is a wiper relay inwith the fuses. I had to pull the relay out and leave it out for about 30 seconds before it reset. The battery drained because it apparently was stuck open. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:49 AM

I think sometimes we focus our attention to something and forgot to check the basics.

Try to find out if the battery is gone (expired) or not. Don't skip this and waste your time searching for a hidden power drainer fault.

From My knowledge Sable uses a large battery which will not be drained overnight if the battery is OK. I mean the battery should survive a faulty switch.

To sum it up... Check your battery first with a car electrician before you do anything else.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:02 PM

It appears as though the problem is fixed. When the problem first occured, I did a battery load test after charging it and it passed easily as well as a hydrometer check. The problem was so irregular that I didn't think it was the battery since I have always figured battery problems should be fairly consistant. I finally disconnected the battery after charging and let it set overnight outside of the car and then load tested it, by overnight it was very weak. New battery three weeks ago and no more trouble. That deal with the windshield wipers cycling when you went to start it coinciding with the dead battery issue sure set me off in the wrong direction looking for a parasitic draw.