Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

99 Sable Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Default 99 Sable Stereo Question

I am thinking about buying another 99 Sable (we have one already). Before I decide, I want to know if there is a way to install an aftermarket streo in it. It is an LS with the auto climate control panel. I know there is a kit for the GS with the regular climate control *****, but what about the auto? Anyone know?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 AM

I've never seen a kit for it but if there isn't one out there(someone must make one), custom shops can do wonders with retrofitting these days.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM

Yea, I would think there would be a kit, but the best info I have gotten so far says there isn't. The best I can do, apparently, is add a CD changer. I didn't buy the car today, but I think I am going to on Monday if it's still there. A 99 with 58k actual miles. It looks in showroom condition. My only concerns are the fact I can't upgrade the stereo and the fact that Sables get such crappy gas mileage. But our other Sable has been a great car.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:33 PM

My Sable, god rest her soul, died this past winter. It was a black w/tint 1997 with a 24V duratec, factory dual exhaust, factory chromes, and 4-wheel disc that got 27 mpg on the highway. It also had the Mach audio system with huge rear deck speakers and tweeters on the inside of the door rear veiw mirrors. Those, plus the four door 6x9 speakers and the factory changer in the trunk was awesome. But then again, I know how loud some people like their music. Best car I've owned in my adult years. I would look though the audio and Sable archives on the site and see if you can find anything on stereo upgrading. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:35 PM

heck... if I had that car, I probably would have paid to drop a new engine in it.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 PM

I guess I should have been more specific. I actually murdered her on an interstate bridge near my home that is imfamous for accidents. A RX-7 cut into my lane and I swerved to avoid it. The rear end broke loose (just started to rain) so I tried to steer into it but overcompensated and went across 3 lanes then head on into a Jersey barrier. Looking back I should of let the dummy hit me but reflexes are reflexes. At least I didn't hit anyone. She was an ex-government car w/13,000 miles when I bought at an auction in 2003. I don't know if it was some sort of heavy-duty factory package but I have never been able to find another with all the options it had. It had the original bill of sale in the glove box from a Hartford, CT. dealership for $27,000 and some change and it was designated "CT-20". Not sure what that meant. It had a power antenna that I have only found on Sable wagons, great leather w/dual power seats with lumbar action, and 55 series Good-Year W-rated tires. And so many other options that would take up another page. I've been a Merc fan ever since. In short, she had too much damage (frame and rear quarter crumpling) to be saved so I had to let her go. Definately the most attached I ever became to a car. My wife used to say that I treated the car better than her. She was right. R.I.P.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Too bad about your car. My daughter lost her 95 Sable about the same way this past winter. She had been driving it since she graduated high school (about 5.5 years) and it treated her right. We have a 99 LS with the 24V that we got from my uncle when he passed. My wife drove it for 3 trouble-free years before it got damaged by hail. We then gave it to my son and he's been driving it since. It has something around 120k on the odo and has caused us absolutely no problems. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I am going to try and buy the 99 I talked about. It's a light blue LS with the 24V and leather and almost all options and only 58k miles.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 AM

Yeah the 24V Duratec is the way to go. I would never buy one with the 12V Vulcan engine. Just one man's opinion.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:04 AM

Unfortunately for me, when I called Monday the car had already been sold. I knew I should've bought it when I first saw it. Dang.