Sable Discuss the Mercury Sable here...

Help 95 Sable Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Hi guys, I''m new to this forum and this is my first post. I got a 95 Sable from a relative, and it''s really the biggest junker. So many problems, so I''m going to list them here. I can''t afford to go to a garage, because, well, I''m poor (the car was free), so if anyone can help me with any of the problems, that would be great. Here they are:

-Check Engine light is on. I don''t know where to plug in the OBDII reader

-The transmission shifts late and erratically, and sometimes doesn''t engage, and sometimes disengages at high speeds. Really scary sometimes. Is there a simple fix?

-All the lights worked fine, until yesterday. I switched them on, and the dash lights and rear lights won''t work. The headlights are fine, but it''s the same switch. There was a coolant leak in the hose that goes from the thermostat to the water pump. It leaked all over the centre of the engine. Could that have shorted something? By the way, what is that hose called?

-The AC compressor rattles. It looks like the clutch is busted. Can the clutch be replaced without removing the whole compressor and discharging the refrigerant?

-The door-locks won''t work centrally

-The rear windows won''t work from the driver''s controls, and sometimes not even from the rear controls

-The mileage is APPALLING

That''s it for now, I think. I''m sure I''ll find something else, though. I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 PM

Dude,

I think you did them a favor by taking it for free.

well lets get started on some of the problems. The first being the trans since you need this from a-b. the worst thing is you broke a thrush washer in the trans and it needs to be rebuilt. this happens when it shifts like you said. the easiest way to check this your self is to purchase a service book for the car since you are doing the work, being poor and all. its ok i have owned many 100 dollar cars before and they have been some of the best cars I have ever had.

For the trans check the linkage and shee if it is secure and grease it. also you are going to want to change all the fluid in the trans, this includes the fluid for the torque converter. Most likely the shift points need to be adjusted. You might want to bring it in for that or get the service book and go at it. it is not hard and actually harder for me to explaine then what the book can show you.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Now for the obdII. go to a pep boys or autozone. they will check it for free. Free is always good when you have a car like this one. you might have a code in it that says something about the trans and other stuff as well.

for the windows. most likely the switch on the drivers side is unplugged, bad or a bad fuse. check all three. you can aleways switch a switch from another window and see if it works that way then you will know it was the switch. you can check it with a test light to see if you are getting current to the switch. you can also check if the motor is making any noise for the window.

upper radiator hose is the name of the hose that broke.

Dude, roll down the windows for now, the ac robably need a new compressor and it will be pretty expensive for your budget. a new compressor and recharge will be in the hndreds of dollars

Old 08-15-2008, 05:18 AM

Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. I''ve changed the fluid in the transmission. How do I empty the torque converter? Do I have to take out the transmission for that? I''ll give the adjustments a shot.

As for the OBDII, there''s a new California law that says they aren''t allowed to rent out diagnostic tools anymore. Idiots. So, I have to borrow one from a friend. I just need to know where to plug it in. I couldn''t find a plug under the driver-side dash like most cars I''ve seen.

I''m not going to bother with the compressor if the whole thing is busted. I was just wondering if there was an easier fix. The windows are a bit tricky. I switched a couple of switches. The thing is, they work sometimes, and then they stop. Really weird. I''m sure it''s the same deal with the door locks.

And, I know what the upper radiator hose is. It''s the one that goes from the radiator to the thermostat, right? Well, this is the one that comes out of the other side of the thermostat and goes to the water pump. Is that called an upper radiator hose too?

Now, the lights issue. That''s really bothering me, because when I drive at night, I have to depress the brake pedal ever so lightly. Really annoying. What do you think I could do about that?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 AM

there is a bolt on the orque converter that is used to drain it. no you do not have to emove the trans. it is very easy. the converter is ahapped like a disk. there might be a dust cover protecting it that has to be removed. very easy.

for the hose, just bring in the broke one and tell them where it is , they will fit it with an exact replacement.

you probably have a electrical short somewhere. check for wires that ave been pulled on. this is very hard to explain. you are going to have to stsrt wit the braking electrical schemanic and trace it back and see where it connects to the lights and go from there. purchase a electrical schemanic